Rearranging the alternating harmonic series to sum to √2

  • Thread starter Thread starter andrey21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
92 replies · 8K views
so that would give: n SQRT(n + 3) + 1

correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm i a little confused as to how u got the above? I mite need little more help factoring n.
 
Ah i actually didnt know that! so with that in min I obtain:

n SQRT(1+3/n) + 1

Am I almost there??
 
Ah, yes, that is correct. So our limit is

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{3n}{n(\sqrt{1+3/n}+1)}[/tex]

Cancel the n. Then substitute [tex]n=+\infty[/tex], and see what you get...
 
Yes i see so would be:

3/SQRT(1+3/n) +1

So as n tends to infinty the 3/n becomes zero leaving:

3/SQRT(1) + 1

which is 3/2 or 1.5
Correct?
 
fantastic I just have to use the binomial therom now it says to prove this. what part would i apply this to?
 
Think I have solved it:

Using (1+x)^r where r is not a whole number. I obtain:

1+3/2.(n) - 1/8 - 1/16 ...

so as the expansion continues the values get closer to zero leaving 1 + 3/2(n)
 
I realize I may have ae a mistake. Am i on the rite track?
 
Jamiey1988 said:
fantastic I just have to use the binomial therom now it says to prove this. what part would i apply this to?

Use the binomial theorem to prove what??
 
My original question stated. Using simple algebra find the limit of this sequence as n tends to infinity. Then confirm this using the binomial therom.
 
I have no idea what they mean with "confirm with the binomial theorem"...

Do they mean this:

[tex](x-y)^r=\sum_{k=0}^{+\infty}{\binom{r}{k}x^{r-k}y^k}[/tex]

if so, you just need to substitute x=n2, y=3n and r=1/2...
 
Possibly, if that is the case I just sub in values for x y and r. Then what?
 
Ok well I am going to come back to that. The bext question I am asked is to describe the sequence that SQRT(n^2 +3n) -n generates:

Substituting in values for n I obtain:

0,1,((SQRT10)-2),((SQRT18)-3), ((SQRT28) -4),...

From this am i correct in saying it is positive and monotonic, And converges to 3/2 as already discovered. Are there any upper lower bounds?
 
Ok well monotonic is where the next value is greater than or equal to the previous one correct?? So can't I just set two values next to each other:

1<((SQRT10) -2)
 
Yes, but this only proves it for n=1 and n=2. You'll need to show it for every n. You'll need to show that for every n

[tex]\sqrt{n^2+3n}-n\leq \sqrt{(n+1)^2+3(n+1)}-(n+1)[/tex]
 
Ah ok so from what u have written above. As the sequence is increasing we can say:
an + (an+1) is always positive.

so an + (an+1) = SQRT(n^2 +3n)-n + SQRT((n+1)^2 +3(n+1)) -(n+1)
 
Last edited:
Scratch that above should it be an+1 - an is always positive??
so I will have:

an+1 - an = + SQRT((n+1)^2 +3(n+1)) -(n+1) - SQRT(n^2 +3n)-n
 
Yes.

(note: the forum rules explicitely forbid that you edit posts that already have been answered to. So please do not do this)