Sum of the sum of harmonic series?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Nikitin
Messages
734
Reaction score
27

Homework Statement


Does this converge or diverge?

Ʃ1/(1+2+3+4+5...+n), as n---> infinity?

The Attempt at a Solution



I rewrote this into Ʃ(Ʃ1/n) (is it correct?).

I figured that since Ʃ(1/n) diverges, then the sum of each partial sum most (obviously) also diverge.

However, it appears I'm mistaken. Can somebody help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:

Homework Statement


Does this converge or diverge?

Ʃ1/(1+2+3+4+5...+n), as n---> infinity?


The Attempt at a Solution



I rewrote this into Ʃ(Ʃ1/n) (is it correct?).

I figured that since Ʃ(1/n) diverges, then the sum of each partial sum most (obviously) also diverge.

However, it appears I'm mistaken. Can somebody help?

Is 1/(1+2) equal to (1/1) + (1/2)? Basically, you are claiming that the answer is yes.

RGV
 
1+2+...+n=n(n+1)/2,so compare with the convergent series 2/n(n+1)
 
ahh thanks. i completely forgot that you could rewrite 1+2+3..+n into n(n+1)/2.. thx!