Reason(s) why our perspective of science is wrong

• Thread starter haribol
  • Start date
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Interesting. Strangely enough this reminds me of the 'Liars Paradox'. But, instead of starting with the premise 'This statement is false.', you begin with the premise 'This statement is true.' Both assumptions eventually result in logical paradoxes.

Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
different religious god, same religious gibberish. :rolleyes:

"Science means to study the world and to understand who we are and what is our position in this world. It does NOT mean to create technologies so we can enjoy..."

...the convenience of computers and telecoms which facilitated this post ?

Janitor
Science Advisor
...the convenience of computers and telecoms which facilitated this post ? - Tom D
That is precisely what I was thinking as I was working my way through the posts in this thread. Do haribol and the Master despise transistors, diodes, CRTs, coaxial cables, and the other technological items that make their theological speculations available to anybody in the world who has a computer and Internet access?

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
My guess is that they probably use some pretty powerful Yahoo and Google software to do some of their research as well.

haribol, regarding the possession of a body, Gabriel Marcel and Luij Pen (I don't know if i spelled pen's name correctly) offers a solution to the mind-body dualism issue: I am my body. The word MY expresses distance and possession yet the word AM expresses being in Being (unity). Luij says we cannot say we have a body in the same manner we have an umbrella because our body is our only means of expressing our existence. On the other hand, we cannot just say that "I am a body" because that would mean humans are reducible to mechanical tools "wired" to perform a single function (which is not the case since we are able to trascend what the workaday world always tells us to do---an example of which is love which is not always logical, especially when we fall in love with someone our parents despise). So there you go: I am my body.

As for the religion issue, if anyone doesn't want to believe it, then just don't. Atheists always say they don't belive in God yet they invoke the word in the denial of the existence of an Infinite Being. They don't know that they are in fact promoting the existence of the word God itself. According to Marx, if all religion were to cease to exist then the word God itself should revert to nothingness.

Please don't call other people's religions gibberish; people of faith respect agnostics and atheists for being so. They deserve to gain that same respect in return.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
How come nobody ever asks why we refer to "my soul" and "my spirit?"

Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
loseyourname said:
How come nobody ever asks why we refer to "my soul" and "my spirit?"
You beat me to it. :eek:

Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
haribol said:
No, we didn't have to choose a body, but we did because we wanted to enjoy through the senses and not enjoy a spiritual life with God.
No we didn't but we did. Contradiction there so we'll just ignore that.

haribol said:
You're right, we can't deny the pleasure which are there, but who is in control? You or your senses? If I cannot control my tongue then that means my tongue is in control, is it not? Then I'll have no freedom.
You can't control the input directly, you can only control the output. The output can control the input indirectly. I can't make my arm bend in 3 places, but my arm isn't in control.

haribol said:
It is a burden because the you that is within the body is experiencing so much pain through the body. If I get a heart attack then although it is materially a failure of the body, I am conscious of the suffering it causes. Since I have a body, I have to go through so much trouble for taking care of it, like feeding it and such. In order to feed it, I need money. In order to get money, I need education and a job. Wouldn't life be much simpler if one just love's God and follows His order? And once you realize that you are not the body, you can even use your body to serve God's order, and thus please Him and the Spiritual Master.
Let us all blindingly follow the words of a thing which is not even defined! A billion people all following a word which changes between each one of them! How simple! How easy! How... catastrophic when they realize they aren't following the same thing.

haribol said:
But how can you do that without loving God because originally, you came from God. If you love God, then you will automatically love all of His creations. Srila Prabhupada gives a good example for this; if you feed your stomach, then all of your body parts are nourished. But if you want to feed your hand, that is not possible. So when you serve the Supreme, then automatically all of His creations are satisfied.
I can think of many examples where people loved God but not his creations. Look at the preist slapping a fly off his neck.

I'll just say this, if you're a believer in God and don't take value to evolution, then you're throwing out knowledge on the creation process.

Evolution does not in any way negate Creationism. It explains the laws at work and the way they work as we learn more and more about the Creation. That's what science is, and that's what science does.

End of story.

Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Tigron-X said:
I'll just say this, if you're a believer in God and don't take value to evolution, then you're throwing out knowledge on the creation process.

Evolution does not in any way negate Creationism. It explains the laws at work and the way they work as we learn more and more about the Creation. That's what science is, and that's what science does.

End of story.
Oh no, but that goes against the bible. You can't go against the bible! The people back in the day knew EVERYTHING. I bet if you go through the bible every word can be taken literally and the truths of the universe would eme--- :zzz:

lol...

It even states in the Bible to take the context metaphorically so that one is wise and not a fool; of course, I paraphrase. But, the meaning is in there.