Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recalling alphanumerical characters

1. Aug 14, 2007 #1
    I find it a little strange that when I want to remember a sequence of alphanumerical characters, diving the sequence into sub-sequences of three characters each works better for me. I am able to go up to 12 characters like that, whereas going by 2 or 4 simply dosen't work as good. Are most people more comfortable with 3, or does it have nothing to do with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2007 #2
    So far all the animals tested have shown the ability to count up to three and some can count to five. After that all they seem able to discern is "many". Neurologists speculate that this is due to some effect caused by neural networks. A way around this limitation is to use mnemonics.

4. Aug 15, 2007 #3
    Something I find very strange is that i remember the first 28 digits of pi in one 28 digit block. The next 8 digits i remember as a 5 and a 3 block. Very weird and I don't know how I came about to think of it in that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?