Latex text formatting again - quotes in monotype

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Text
In summary: Additionally, you could use the \textquotedblleft and \textquotedblright commands to insert correct opening and closing quotes in the text. Another option would be to use the \verb|...| command to enclose text that contains special characters.
Borek
Mentor
This time I have a problem with monotype font and quotes.

When I switch to typewriter font using ``quotes'' stops to work*. Character sequences (`` and '') that in other parts of the text are understood as opening and closing quotes are not translated. Standard "quotes" are rendered mostly OK (and as these parts of the text are intended to look like an old, typed document from seventies, fact that they don't get changed is OK with me).

But that's where things get ugly, as some characters preceded by " are treated as a control sequences (perhaps that's not the correct name, but you should get what I mean). For example "A is rendered as Ą. What I am doing at the moment is I am using "\hphantom{}A to break the control sequence. It works, but I wonder if there is no better, more "latexish" method to do so.

*actually I am using ,,quotes'', as these are correct in Polish; I don't remember details but I did some research last year and that was the best option to get quotes rendered correctly in my book

Physics news on Phys.org
.The best option would be to switch fonts or to write the text in a different way. For example, you could use a typewriter-style font that doesn't interpret certain characters as control sequences. You could also try using the \texttt{} command to enclose text in typewriter font instead of using the typewriter font style.

What is Latex text formatting?

Latex is a typesetting system used for creating high-quality documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and academia. It allows for precise control over the appearance of text, including the use of different fonts, styles, and special characters.

What is the purpose of using monotype in Latex text formatting?

Monotype refers to using a single font or typeface throughout a document. This can help create a consistent and professional look, especially in scientific or technical writing. Monotype also allows for easier readability and organization of complex equations and formulas.

How do I add quotes in monotype using Latex?

To add quotes in monotype, you can use the \texttt{} command in Latex. This will format the text within the command in monotype font. For example, \texttt{"This is a quote in monotype font."} will display the text within the double quotes in monotype font.

Can I change the font size of monotype text in Latex?

Yes, you can change the font size of monotype text using the \texttt{\footnotesize} command for smaller text or \texttt{\large} command for larger text. These commands can be used before or after the text you want to change the font size of.

Are there any other formatting options for monotype text in Latex?

Yes, there are several other formatting options for monotype text in Latex. These include changing the font color, style (e.g. bold, italic), and alignment. These can be done using various commands such as \texttt{\color{blue}}, \texttt{\textbf{}}, and \texttt{\textit{}} respectively.