1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Receiving a 'W' in a Graduate Class

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I am a graduate student and I currently taking a class that is unrelated to anything that I am doing in my research or field of study. I was told by my graduate advisor that I would need another class this semester, however, that turns out to be incorrect and I no longer need this class. I am not doing bad in the class at all and I have no academic reason to drop, I currently have a 97 in the class. But the class is not related to my research, does not interest me, and more importantly is eating into my research time. I was wondering does having one 'W' on your graduate transcript look bad. I currently have a 4.0 and there is no way I can get out of the class without getting a 'W'. Just wondering what you all thought about taking the 'W'. If it really looks bad for later then I will just push on through with this class. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No, especially when it's a class wholly unrelated to your major or research. People who are going to review your transcripts aren't stupid, they know that dropping, say, advanced south american economics while you're a grad student in physics or chemistry or whatever doesn't say anything about what your abilities are, for example.

4. Sep 24, 2011 #3
    Well that is good to hear. I am a computer architecture type person focusing on memory design. The class is weather radar and while the radar engineering part is interesting learning graduate meteorology is killing my time. It is just not worth it I think.

5. Sep 24, 2011 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Just make sure you don't give the impression that you are struggling in your graduate program. That's what is important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook