Recent (?) noteworthy (?) physics paper

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper on high-temperature superconductors and the role of the pseudogap in these materials. The paper suggests that the pseudogap is irrelevant to the superconducting phenomenon and is only present in the BiO layer. However, there are conflicting findings on the pseudogap in other papers. The conversation also discusses the presence of a van Hove singularity in the SrO layer, which is unexpected as it is typically found in the CuO plane. The reason for this is not clear, and there are questions about the role of the SrO layer in providing charges to the CuO layer. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities and ongoing debates in understanding high-temperature superconductors.
TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This question is mainly geared toward @ZapperZ, since I know you have a good deal of expertise in superconductivity and in STS/STM. I saw this paper in my journal alerts early early last year:

http://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.115.237002
"Mapping the Electronic Structure of Each Ingredient Oxide Layer of High-##T_c## Cuprate Superconductor ##\mathrm{Bi_2Sr_2CaCu_2O_{8+\delta}}##"

...and thought it was fascinating (NB--I am a complete outsider to this field). But there seemed to be no mention of it in the APS physics highlights or anything comparable from other journals. It seems to me that one of the main barriers to understanding high-temperature superconductivity comes from detangling the interactions within the millefeuille structure of these compounds, and that this paper takes a big step in that direction. Am I misinterpreting this? Or are these results similar to what the community has been looking at for a while? Just wondering what the thoughts are of people who actually work in this field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It has been years since I was involved actively in High-Tc superconductors, but I did read about this paper quite a while back and had to reacquaint myself on it. Unfortunately, since I no longer attend conferences on this topic, I am not aware of the kind of reception this paper had, or if others have responded or followed up to it.

The question on whether the pseudogap actually plays a role, a red-herring, or even competing with superconductivity has been going on since the day this feature was discovered. Certainly, this paper seems to indicate that the pseudogap is a distraction and "irrelevant" to the superconducting phenomenon. They claim it is from the BiO layer and doesn't do much. However, I've see other papers in which the pseudogap evolves with temperature (see, for example, Miyakawa et al. PRL 83, 1018 (1999)). So this contradiction needs to be reconciled.

It is interesting that they see a van Hove singularity only in the SrO layer, which is strange because the vHs is a feature found in a 2D metallic density of states. It means that this feature should be the strongest in the CuO plane. It should be there above Tc in the normal state, but they don't see it.

But more importantly, why does single layer BSCO have a lower Tc than 2 layer BSCCO, and 3 layer BSCCO having higher Tc than 2 layer BSCCO. According to them, the SrO provides the "charge reservoir" for the CuO layer. So adding more layers to the unit cell shouldn't matter, since each SrO layer only provides charges to the adjacent CuO layer. The BiO layer (the one with the pseudogap) simply isolates all these these layers from one another because they appear to not do anything.

So that's my take on this paper, and like I said, maybe these have been addressed since the paper was published, but I'm out of the loop currently on this topic.

Zz.

Likes TeethWhitener
Thanks so much for your reply. Interesting about the SrO layer. They measured the two BiO layers and the two CuO2 layers separately, but only one of the SrO layers (the one with a copper oxide layer under it). It might have been nice to see if an SrO layer with BiO under it had a different dI/dV curve than the one with CuO2 underneath it. I guess it's more tightly bound to the CuO2 plane than the BiO plane, and that's why they weren't able to observe it? I'm wondering if maybe the van Hove singularity appeared due to the interplay of SrO and CuO2, and whether this feature would be absent if it were an SrO/BiO stack instead.

1. What is the significance of this recent physics paper?

The significance of this paper can vary depending on the specific paper being referenced. However, most noteworthy physics papers make significant contributions to the scientific community by introducing new concepts, theories, or experimental results that expand our understanding of the physical world.

2. What are the main findings of this physics paper?

The main findings of a physics paper will also vary, but they typically involve uncovering new information about a specific phenomenon, proposing a new theory or model, or providing experimental evidence for a previously untested concept.

3. How does this physics paper contribute to the field of physics?

This paper likely contributes to the field of physics by adding to our current knowledge and understanding of a particular topic. It may also open up new avenues for research and further exploration in the field.

4. What methods were used in this physics paper?

The methods used in a physics paper can also vary, but they may include theoretical calculations, computer simulations, experimental measurements, or a combination of these approaches. The specific methods used will depend on the research question being addressed.

5. What are the potential implications of this physics paper?

The potential implications of a physics paper can be wide-ranging and can have implications for both scientific research and everyday life. For example, a paper on quantum mechanics may have implications for future technologies, while a paper on climate change may have implications for public policy and environmental conservation efforts.