1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reception of distant FM radio broadcasts

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    1. An aluminum airplane is flying west, parallel to the ground, at 350 m/s. The earth's magnetic field produces a downward component of 8.30 x10-5 T at that point. For the purposes of this question, treat the wing as if it was a conducting rod.
    a) What is the magnitude of the potential difference applied across the plane's wingspan of 22 m?

I used V=LvB, and got an answer of 0.64 V.

b) Which wing would be negatively charged, the one on the south side of the plane of the one on the north side of the plane?
    This is where I'm lost. How would I find out the answer to this?

2. Why doesn't the reception of distant FM radio broadcasts improve just after night fall the way AM broadcasts do?
    I'm assuming AM signals improve because they are reflected by the ionosphere, which would be higher in the dark? That could be WAY off.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2
    a) for me ok too
    b) how do you find the direction of force to the charge which move in magnetic field?

4. May 19, 2008 #3
    ...Oh, do I use the left hand rule? Haha.

5. May 19, 2008 #4
    heh...for (b), you could use the right hand rule (or left hand version as well).
    For (c)...interesting question...not sure.

6. May 20, 2008 #5
    the (c) part is a good question and am curious this too, even didn't noticed this :) BTW, you may research the effects of ultraviolet beams of sun on ionospher. I found something from google. You are close.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?