1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reciprocating Compressor Experiment.

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    So, I've recently carried out an experiment to find the volumetric efficiency of a singular reciprocating compressor. During the experiment, there are sub questions asking you to find the value of n and then whether the process is isothermal, poly tropic or adiabatic. Well, n is found to be very close to 1 so the process is isothermal. However, the temperature in the receiver (where the compressed gas is stored) does change by about 3K from t= 0s until t = 180s (when the compressor switches off). Why is that? And, is this therefore not an isothermal process? Or, am I just not properly understanding what's happening? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

From the information posted, it is not possible to tell whether the temperature change observed is small enough to be consistent with the measured difference between n and 1. You could try to compute that.

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3
    The difference between n and 1? Well, the average value of n was found to be 1.034. So, the difference between n and 1 is 0.034. Is this what you're asking? I may have misunderstood.

5. Oct 23, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, that's what I was asking, but the next step is to determine whether the observed rise in temperature is within the range consistent with that n.

6. Oct 23, 2013 #5
    How do I go about doing that? Only just began this module 3 weeks back so apologies if I'm catching on a bit slowly.

7. Oct 23, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not my area, I'm afraid. I was just pointing out a possible explanation.

8. Oct 24, 2013 #7
    No problem. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted