1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recognizing a product of two 3d rotations (matrices)

1. Jun 14, 2008 #1
    Hi, I have a problem identifying some 3d rotation matrices. Actually I don't know if the result can be brought on the desired form, however it would make sense from a physics point of view. My two questions are given at the bottom.

[tex]\mathbf{s}=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    s_{x} \\ s_{y} \\ s_{z}
    \end{array} \right),\; \mathbf{S}=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    S_{x} \\ S_{y} \\ S_{z}
    \end{array} \right)[/tex]

[tex]H=\left[\left(
    \begin{array}{ccc}
    1-\left(1-C_{z}^{2}+C_{x}^{2}\right)\gamma^{2}& 0 & -2\gamma\left(1-C_{x}C_{z}\gamma\right) \\
    0 & 1-\left(1+C_{z}^{2}+C_{x}^{2}\right)\gamma^{2} & 0 \\
    2\gamma\left(1-C_{x}C_{z}\gamma\right)& 0 &
    1-\left(1+C_{z}^{2}-C_{x}^{2}\right)\gamma^{2}
    \end{array} \right) \mathbf{s}\right]\cdot\mathbf{S}
    [/tex]

(this describes Kondo effect in a quantum dot with spin-orbit interaction)

The goal is to bring H on a the form [tex]H = \left(\mathbf{A}\mathbf{s}\right)\cdot\left(\mathbf{B}\mathbf{S}\right)[/tex] where A and B are matrices describing rotations.

For Cx=Cz=0 :

[tex]H=\left[\left(1-\gamma^{2}\right)\underbrace{\left(
    \begin{array}{ccc}
    1 & 0 & \theta \\
    0 & 1 & 0 \\
    -\theta & 0 & 1
    \end{array} \right)}_{R_{y}(\theta)+O(\theta^{2})}
    \mathbf{s}\right]\cdot\mathbf{S} \;\; \approx \;\; \left(1-\gamma^{2}\right)\left(R_{y}(\theta) \mathbf{s}
    \right)\cdot \mathbf{S} \;, \qquad \theta=\frac{-2\gamma}{1-\gamma^{2}}
    [/tex]

That is, H is a vector product between spin S and a spin s that has been rotated around the y-axis with angle theta.

For Cx and Cz different from 0 :

In this case the matrix cannot be direct identified as a rotation around the x,y or z axis. The questions are now:

1) can it be a rotation around another axis?
    2) Is it possible to write it as [tex]H = \left(\mathbf{A}\mathbf{s}\right)\cdot\left(\mathbf{B}\mathbf{S}\right)[/tex] where A and B are matrices describing rotations?

I would be glad if anybody has an idea about how to deal with this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2008 #2
    You essentially have written that [tex]H = \mathbf{s}_1^T \mathbf{D} \mathbf{s}_2[/tex], and the question is whether you can write [tex]\mathbf{D} = \mathbf{A} \mathbf{B}[/tex], where A and B are rotation matrices. Now, rotation matrices form a group, hence [tex]\mathbf{D}[/tex] should also be a rotation matrix. Is [tex]\mathbf{D}[/tex] orthogonal? I'm assuming it is.

Anyway, there isn't a unique way of writing D as a product of two rotations. One is to take A = D and B = identity. Maybe I've misunderstood.

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3
    One of the real eigenvectors of the matrix is the y unit vector, so if it is a rotation matrix it can only possibly be a rotation about the y-axis. If it is a rotation matrix, the corresponding eigenvalue
    [tex] 1-\left(1+C_{z}^{2}+C_{x}^{2}\right)\gamma^{2}[/tex],
    must be equal to 1. This can only happen if \gamma = 0. So except in this presumably trivial case, no, it is not a rotation matrix.

Dave

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?