Recommend good optical clock/cold atom/frequency comb book?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a better understanding of optical clocks, frequency combs, atom trapping, and atom interferometry. The individual is looking for recommendations on books or review papers to help them gain a better understanding, as the current papers they are reading assume too much prior knowledge. They mention their background as a grad student and their focus on studying gravity. Several book recommendations are given, with the best being "Introduction to Quantum Optics" by Grynberg, Aspect, and Fabre, which covers the desired topics and is recently published. However, there is also a mention of "Laser Control of Atoms and Molecules" by V.S. Lethokov, but this is not recommended as it is
TomServo
I need to learn more about optical clocks, frequency combs, atom trapping, atom interferometry, etc., and I'm wondering if there are good books or review papers you recommend? The papers I'm reading can be hard to understand and often assume knowledge I don't have. I'm a grad student if that helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your background with respect to quantum optics?

DrClaude said:
What is your background with respect to quantum optics?

Don't really have one, but I know several of Marlan Scully's current students if that helps. :D

You need to get a good basis in quantum optics if you want to tackle these subjects.

Considering that many of the topics you want to cover are quite new, you should go for a recently published book. Looking at my bookshelf, I suggest that you get a copy of Introduction to Quantum Optics by Grynberg, Aspect, and Fabre (Cambridge University Press, 2010)

Thanks. I mainly need to learn about this stuff because I'm studying the use of cold atoms/optical clocks in gravity, so I'm *mainly* learning gravity. :oldbiggrin:

The best introductory book about all the topics you listed, expect the frequency comb, that I know of is ,,Laser Control of Atoms and Molecules'' by V.S. Lethokov. I'm not sure if there is any book specifically on frequency combs. You can try reading ,,Phase stabilization of ultrashort optical pulses'', S. T. Cundiff, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 35, R43, which gives a good introduction, specifically in Sec. 2, but keep in mind that the specific systems he describes are a bit dated. If you have questions about frequency combs or laser stabilization, you can ask here and I will try to answer.

yoreh said:
The best introductory book about all the topics you listed, expect the frequency comb, that I know of is ,,Laser Control of Atoms and Molecules'' by V.S. Lethokov.
I have to disagree. I was very disappointed by Lethokov's book, which reads like a very long review article. Nothing much is actually explained in the book, and one has to constantly refer to the cited papers.

DrClaude said:
I have to disagree. I was very disappointed by Lethokov's book, which reads like a very long review article. Nothing much is actually explained in the book, and one has to constantly refer to the cited papers.

Darn. Can you recommend another one then?

TomServo said:
Darn. Can you recommend another one then?
I've looked through my bookshelf, and I'll really stick to my recommendation of Grynberg et al. As I said, the topics of interest to you are quite new, at the current frontier of research, and most of the books do not cover these newer areas. The Grynberg book will give you both a good introduction to basic quantum optics and discuss the topics of interest to you.

Likes TomServo

1. What is an optical clock?

An optical clock is a type of atomic clock that uses laser light to measure the frequency of atomic transitions, providing a highly accurate measurement of time. It is based on the principle of using the natural oscillations of atoms as a time reference, rather than the vibrations of a mechanical oscillator.

2. What are cold atoms and how are they used in clocks?

Cold atoms are atoms that have been cooled to extremely low temperatures, typically near absolute zero. They are used in clocks because at these low temperatures, the atoms are less susceptible to external influences and exhibit more stable and predictable oscillations, resulting in more accurate time measurements.

3. What is a frequency comb and how does it relate to optical clocks and cold atoms?

A frequency comb is a tool for precisely measuring and controlling the frequencies of light. It is essential for optical clocks and cold atoms because it allows for the comparison of their frequencies with the internationally agreed upon definition of a second, providing a universal time standard.

4. Can you recommend a good book on optical clocks, cold atoms, and frequency combs?

One highly recommended book on this topic is "Atomic Clocks: Principles and Applications" by Yann Le Coq and Christian Chardonnet. It covers the fundamental principles and latest developments in the field, making it a valuable resource for both beginners and experts.

5. Are there any practical applications for optical clocks, cold atoms, and frequency combs?

Yes, there are numerous practical applications for these technologies, including timekeeping for GPS systems, synchronization of telecommunication networks, and precision measurements in fundamental physics research. They also have potential uses in fields such as geodesy, navigation, and satellite positioning.