1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Recommend research groups for PhD position

1. Jul 16, 2016 #1
    So I've been thinking of continuing after my MSc degree to do a PhD. But I have trouble getting a good feel on research groups of quantum optics and nanophotonics in the world. So my situation is: I life in the Netherlands and I have a good feel on most research groups in the country, but I'm also looking in other countries.

I'm more interested in knowing what kind of person the group leader is and what kind of work culture is in a certain group since I might have to work under him/her for four years. So if you're doing your research, please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,
    -Q

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2016 #2

DrSteve

Gold Member

So you would like everyone who works in quantum optics and nanophotonics to self-report on the work culture in their group? I doubt if this will be a fruitful venture.

Might I suggest you do your own research, that is, find groups whose research interests you, then you contact grad students or post docs in those groups. Or, better yet, apply to some PhD programs in those areas, then visit those schools, exploring the culture yourself.

4. Jul 17, 2016 #3
    @DrSteve Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't stop and think on what I was asking was actually quite personal and rude, my apologies.

5. Jul 17, 2016 #4

DrSteve

Gold Member

It's not so much that it was rude or too personal, it's simply that in order to succeed you have to take ownership of the grad school research process. Besides, I doubt very much if current grad students would want to go public with any negative experiences. That kind of discussion is best relegated to a phone call, email or visit.

6. Jul 17, 2016 #5
    I have had one professor who recommended me doing the phd in the same place as the master, so I would know the person an how to work with him or her

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted