Recommend research groups for PhD position

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a PhD in quantum optics and nanophotonics but is having trouble finding information on research groups and their leaders outside of the Netherlands. They are interested in learning more about the work culture and the personalities of potential group leaders. However, it is suggested that they take ownership of their own research process and reach out to current graduate students or postdocs in their desired research areas or apply to PhD programs and visit the schools to explore the culture themselves. It is also noted that discussing negative experiences with current grad students may be better done through private communication rather than public forums.
Qiao
So I've been thinking of continuing after my MSc degree to do a PhD. But I have trouble getting a good feel on research groups of quantum optics and nanophotonics in the world. So my situation is: I life in the Netherlands and I have a good feel on most research groups in the country, but I'm also looking in other countries.

I'm more interested in knowing what kind of person the group leader is and what kind of work culture is in a certain group since I might have to work under him/her for four years. So if you're doing your research, please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,
-Q

Physics news on Phys.org
So you would like everyone who works in quantum optics and nanophotonics to self-report on the work culture in their group? I doubt if this will be a fruitful venture.

Might I suggest you do your own research, that is, find groups whose research interests you, then you contact grad students or post docs in those groups. Or, better yet, apply to some PhD programs in those areas, then visit those schools, exploring the culture yourself.

@DrSteve Thank you for the suggestion. I didn't stop and think on what I was asking was actually quite personal and rude, my apologies.

It's not so much that it was rude or too personal, it's simply that in order to succeed you have to take ownership of the grad school research process. Besides, I doubt very much if current grad students would want to go public with any negative experiences. That kind of discussion is best relegated to a phone call, email or visit.

Likes Timo
I have had one professor who recommended me doing the phd in the same place as the master, so I would know the person an how to work with him or her

1. Can you recommend any specific research groups for a PhD position?

As a scientist, I cannot recommend specific research groups for a PhD position as it is ultimately a personal decision based on individual interests and goals. However, I can provide guidance on how to search for and evaluate potential research groups.

2. What are some factors to consider when looking for a research group for a PhD position?

Some factors to consider may include the research interests and expertise of the group, the funding and resources available, the mentorship and support provided, and the overall culture and environment of the group. It is important to also consider if the research aligns with your own interests and career goals.

3. How can I find potential research groups for a PhD position?

There are various ways to find potential research groups, such as attending conferences and networking with researchers, searching online databases and university websites, and reaching out to current graduate students or professors for recommendations.

4. What should I look for in a research group's publication record?

A research group's publication record can be a good indication of their productivity and impact in their field. Look for publications in reputable journals and conferences, as well as a diverse range of topics and collaborations. It may also be helpful to look at the citation metrics of their publications.

5. How can I determine if a research group is a good fit for me?

Aside from considering the research interests and culture of the group, it is important to communicate with the group members and potential mentor(s) to get a sense of their expectations and working style. You can also ask to speak with current or former graduate students to gain insight into their experiences and satisfaction with the group.