Recommendation for textbook on number theory

In summary, the professor recommended that a textbook be used to help prepare for a math test. The textbook they are using is Elementary Number Theory by Jones and Jones. It is a graduate text, but is still recommended if you are mathematically mature.
dpackard
So I'm in a number theory course this semester but we aren't using a textbook (the professor gave the explanation that they'd never found a textbook that does exactly what they wanted or something, but it seems from my investigations that our course follows a pretty standard introduction).

Anyway, I have a test coming up this week, and I think I'd like to find a good textbook to help me prepare. This is the second test, and after not performing as well on the first test as I would have liked, I believe reading something else would help. My notes are too disorganized to be of real use besides helping me remember concepts, and I obviously cannot write down detailed explanations of the "whys", only copy down the "hows." So if you know of a good book for this purpose, I would really appreciate any recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you listed the topics your course is covering!

sorry! we've covered divisions, GCD, modular arithmetic, fermat's little theorem, fermat and mersenne primes, euler's phi function, and orders so far.

Try Elementary Number Theory by Jones & Jones.

well, if I'm not mistaken the classic is by rosen and ireland.

The rosen and ireland one seems to be a "graduate text," would you still recommend it?

I hate it when therer is no textbook, especially when there exists a million out there for number theory.

dpackard said:
The rosen and ireland one seems to be a "graduate text," would you still recommend it?
well it's recommended in my univ's course website here:
http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~rudnick/courses/int_numth.html
and it's an undergraduate course, so I guess it depends on your mathematical maturity.

Rosen & Ireland is hard. If you can follow it, you'll be well-prepared... but you might be better served by a more accessible book. I keep mine on a shelf and consult it when needed.

I would strongly recommend Elements of the Theory of Numbers by Dence. It is a very accessible and up to date introduction to the subject, covering all of the subjects you listed in addition to more advanced subjects suitable for a second course in number theory. Or, you could just search for "number theory ebook" or "number theory torrent" on google and download a plethora of books from which you have your choice.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of integers and other types of numbers. It is considered to be one of the oldest and most fundamental areas of mathematics.

2. Why is it important to study number theory?

Number theory has many applications in various fields, such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. It also helps develop problem-solving skills and logical thinking, making it a valuable subject for students of all levels.

3. What makes a good textbook on number theory?

A good textbook on number theory should provide clear explanations of concepts, offer plenty of examples and practice problems, and include historical background and real-world applications. It should also be well-organized and suitable for a range of readers, from beginners to advanced learners.

4. Can you recommend a textbook on number theory?

There are many excellent textbooks on number theory, but some popular choices among students and professionals include "Elementary Number Theory" by Kenneth H. Rosen, "An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers" by Ivan Niven and Herbert S. Zuckerman, and "A Course in Number Theory and Cryptography" by Neal Koblitz.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand number theory?

While a basic understanding of algebra and geometry is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in math to understand number theory. Many introductory textbooks on the subject assume no prior knowledge and provide clear explanations of concepts and techniques.