Recommendation for textbook on number theory

• Thread starter dpackard
  • Start date
So I'm in a number theory course this semester but we aren't using a textbook (the professor gave the explanation that they'd never found a textbook that does exactly what they wanted or something, but it seems from my investigations that our course follows a pretty standard introduction).

Anyway, I have a test coming up this week, and I think I'd like to find a good textbook to help me prepare. This is the second test, and after not performing as well on the first test as I would have liked, I believe reading something else would help. My notes are too disorganized to be of real use besides helping me remember concepts, and I obviously cannot write down detailed explanations of the "whys", only copy down the "hows." So if you know of a good book for this purpose, I would really appreciate any recommendations.

Answers and Replies

morphism
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It would help if you listed the topics your course is covering!

sorry! we've covered divisions, GCD, modular arithmetic, fermat's little theorem, fermat and mersenne primes, euler's phi function, and orders so far.

morphism
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Try Elementary Number Theory by Jones & Jones.

MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
well, if I'm not mistaken the classic is by rosen and ireland.

The rosen and ireland one seems to be a "graduate text," would you still recommend it?

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I hate it when therer is no textbook, especially when there exists a million out there for number theory.

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Rosen & Ireland is hard. If you can follow it, you'll be well-prepared... but you might be better served by a more accessible book. I keep mine on a shelf and consult it when needed.

I would strongly recommend Elements of the Theory of Numbers by Dence. It is a very accessible and up to date introduction to the subject, covering all of the subjects you listed in addition to more advanced subjects suitable for a second course in number theory. Or, you could just search for "number theory ebook" or "number theory torrent" on google and download a plethora of books from which you have your choice.