Recommendations on Arts Options

• Courses
  • Thread starter JoshGuthrie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Options
In summary, taking humanities and social sciences courses in addition to your physics degree will give you a richer and more interesting education.
JoshGuthrie
Hello all, I am currently choosing my classes for my first year studies in honors physics at the University of Alberta and am seeking some advice on my Arts options. I want them to be interesting and at least somewhat relevant to my studies in science. With that being said, I am thinking of going with either history or philosophy courses on science and technology, but am unsure which subject would be more interesting/helpful. Any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't give you personal advice. But if I could repeat my student years, knowing what I know now, I would take the most fun and easiest Arts classes, with the aim of getting an "A" to keep my GPA up, while not expending much time or energy. In general I would save my time and energy for physics, mathematics, and any other required STEM courses. But I would allocate some of the time I would save by taking easier courses to getting extra sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JoshGuthrie
i would take a corse in logic courses if possible.

Likes Stephen Tashi and JoshGuthrie
JoshGuthrie said:
Hello all, I am currently choosing my classes for my first year studies in honors physics at the University of Alberta and am seeking some advice on my Arts options. I want them to be interesting and at least somewhat relevant to my studies in science. With that being said, I am thinking of going with either history or philosophy courses on science and technology, but am unsure which subject would be more interesting/helpful. Any suggestions are welcome!
Those descriptions are more like Humanities than Art. Better, and REAL Art choices could be conventional Photograph or something that either IS or includes perspective drawing. Either or both of these would be useful or at least relevant to science.

symbolipoint said:
Those descriptions are more like Humanities than Art. Better, and REAL Art choices could be conventional Photograph or something that either IS or includes perspective drawing. Either or both of these would be useful or at least relevant to science.

They consider Arts options as humanities, social sciences, fine arts and language arts. Somewhat misleading, I know.

Last edited:
If you can't take a logic course, consider a Music Theory course if you don't mind a course that's as hard as a math class.

Likes JoshGuthrie
Hmm. You can even take a general art history class. Scored me a few gf's. I learned what a Monet and Las Meninas (Deigo Velazquez painting). It is always good to learn things different from the usual, pie=, E=mc^2, Capacitors etc... Never know when this non scientific stuff will come in handy.

Depends on how many "Arts" courses you need to take. My bachelor's program in physics (at a US school) required eight semesters of "Humanities" courses. I wouldn't take easy throwaway courses just to fulfill the requirements. Here are courses that provide valuable skills and insights; listed in order of priority.

(a) Writing. Take writing courses of all flavors. Writing has fallen out of favor with recent generations that tweet and text and depend on spell check and grammar check. But the ability to write well, for different audiences, is still a critical skill.

(b) Foreign languages. Give you an advantage in our global economy.

(c) Philosophy. Logic and argument are critical skills. Philosophy of science provides valuable insights directly relevant to your major.

(d) History. History of science and engineering provides valuable insights directly relevant to your major.

Likes JoshGuthrie
CrysPhys said:
Depends on how many "Arts" courses you need to take. My bachelor's program in physics (at a US school) required eight semesters of "Humanities" courses. I wouldn't take easy throwaway courses just to fulfill the requirements. Here are courses that provide valuable skills and insights; listed in order of priority.

(a) Writing. Take writing courses of all flavors. Writing has fallen out of favor with recent generations that tweet and text and depend on spell check and grammar check. But the ability to write well, for different audiences, is still a critical skill.

(b) Foreign languages. Give you an advantage in our global economy.

(c) Philosophy. Logic and argument are critical skills. Philosophy of science provides valuable insights directly relevant to your major.

(d) History. History of science and engineering provides valuable insights directly relevant to your major.

The U of A honors degree requires 6 courses in the humanities, social sciences, fine arts or language arts, but classify all of them as "Arts options". I find history quite interesting, so that's why I'm leaning more towards that subject, but I do agree that writing is extremely important. Will my writing skills hold me back if I choose to take my options in history (and perhaps a few in philosophy) or do you think I'd be alright? I've always had good grades in English classes (97 and 98 in my grade 12 courses) but I don't find them particularly interesting, and would prefer to stay away from them in university if possible.

JoshGuthrie said:
The U of A honors degree requires 6 courses in the humanities, social sciences, fine arts or language arts, but classify all of them as "Arts options". I find history quite interesting, so that's why I'm leaning more towards that subject, but I do agree that writing is extremely important. Will my writing skills hold me back if I choose to take my options in history (and perhaps a few in philosophy) or do you think I'd be alright? I've always had good grades in English classes (97 and 98 in my grade 12 courses) but I don't find them particularly interesting, and would prefer to stay away from them in university if possible.
Not taking writing courses won't hold you back; but taking writing courses will provide you with an extra edge. Learning to write well depends on having stern critics who provide detailed analyses of your work. You are likely to find such critics in courses expressly directed towards writing, and, in other courses, such as logic. In courses such as history, however, you'll need to luck out in getting professors who require many written assignments and who provide critical feedback.

Likes JoshGuthrie

What are the benefits of studying the arts?

Studying the arts can have a positive impact on both personal and academic development. It can improve critical thinking skills, creativity, and self-expression. It can also enhance cultural awareness and empathy, as well as provide opportunities for socialization and collaboration.

What types of art courses are available?

There are a variety of art courses available, including visual arts (such as drawing, painting, and photography), performing arts (such as music, dance, and theater), and literary arts (such as creative writing and poetry). Some schools may also offer interdisciplinary courses that combine multiple art forms.

Can studying the arts lead to a career?

Yes, studying the arts can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as design, advertising, education, and entertainment. It can also provide valuable skills that are transferable to other industries, such as problem-solving, communication, and collaboration.

Are there any prerequisites for taking art courses?

Prerequisites may vary depending on the specific course and institution. Some courses may require a certain level of skill or experience, while others may have no prerequisites at all. It is best to check with the school or instructor for specific requirements.

What are some resources for finding arts options?

There are many resources available for finding arts options, such as school course catalogs, online class directories, and local community centers. Additionally, talking to teachers, counselors, and other students can provide valuable insights and recommendations.