Recommended software for converting 2D images to 3D CAD model.

In summary, the conversation was about finding a software program that can convert 2D images to 3D models for use in aerospace engineering. The resulting model needs to be accurate and the preferred environment is offline, not on cloud. The only program that was found online was PhotoModeler, but a suggestion was made to try Insight3D or Autodesk's 123D. The question was also raised about whether an experienced CAD operator would be needed for the conversion process.
ENgez
Hello,
Does anybody know/had experience with software that can turn 2D images to 3D models in CAD program, preferably in an offline environment (not on cloud)?

The resulting model has to be accurate enough for aerospace engineering purposes.

from looking online, I really didn't find anything except photo modeler.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you looking for a software program that can automatically convert 2D to 3D, or with the aid of an experienced CAD operator?
To extrapolate 3D from 2D for visualization purposes, maybe... To create a 3D file accurate enough to be useful in building parts, there is a lot of information that must be added to a 2D file. As an example, think about the 2D drawings for a turbine rotor or even a piston. There is just no way to extrapolate the shapes of those 2 items from a 2D drawing.
Almost any 3D parametric CAD program will import a 2D drawing to use as a starting point-here is how it goes:
http://www.zwsoft.com/Service_Support/ser_zw3d/Tricks/780.html

Autodesk has a tool called 123D that would work great for your purposes I think. Give it a try and see what you think.

http://www.123dapp.com/

I understand the importance of accuracy and precision in engineering projects, especially in the aerospace industry. I would recommend using software specifically designed for converting 2D images to 3D CAD models, such as AutoCAD or SolidWorks. These programs have robust features and tools that allow for accurate and detailed conversions. Additionally, they can be used in an offline environment, providing a secure and reliable platform for your projects. I would suggest conducting further research and possibly consulting with experts in the field to determine the best software for your specific needs.

1. What is the best software for converting 2D images to 3D CAD model?

The best software for converting 2D images to 3D CAD model is highly dependent on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and SketchUp.

2. Can any software convert 2D images to 3D CAD model?

No, not all software is capable of converting 2D images to 3D CAD models. It is important to research and choose a software that is specifically designed for this purpose.

3. Is there a free software for converting 2D images to 3D CAD model?

Yes, there are some free options available, such as Blender and FreeCAD. However, the features and capabilities may be limited compared to paid software options.

4. What file formats can be used for converting 2D images to 3D CAD model?

The most common file formats used for converting 2D images to 3D CAD models are JPEG, PNG, and TIFF. However, it is recommended to check the specific software's compatibility with different file formats.

5. Do I need any special skills to use software for converting 2D images to 3D CAD model?

Some level of technical knowledge and understanding of CAD software may be helpful in using these programs. However, many software options have user-friendly interfaces and provide tutorials for beginners.