1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internships/Research oppurtunities for EP student

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    Cans omeone please list out the reasearch oppurtunities/Internship oppurtunities ofr an Engineering Physics student during the summer..
    I am interested in theoritical physics...as such where all can i apply for summer research...?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    It is nearly impossible to get a job with a Degree in Engineering Physics today, and finding an Internship / Research opportunity is not going to be any easier. You can try going to your local University and ask around for such positions this might help for starters. I wish the best of luck for you.

My good friend whom is a Undergraduate from UCSB in Engineering Physics the only research I see him doing now is bagging customers items at Walmart from 9 to 5. He's so much in debt that he couldn't even afford to continue his Education in Grad school. Talking about a tough life.

But this is in America, I don't know much about other countries though. :shy:
  4. Sep 12, 2008 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I don't buy this. Why would it be harder to get a job with a degree in Engineering Physics than, say Art History?

I will believe that students with an EP degree suffer from the problem of the degree being neither fish nor foul - jobs in engineering would be going to people with the appropriate engineering degree, and graduate positions in physics would be going to people with physics degrees. But I don't believe it's 'nearly impossible to find a job'. Do you have any statistics that shows that the unemployment rate of new EP grads is, say, above 85 or 90%?

As far as the OP, your academic advisor is a good place to start. Another good place to start is the bulletin board in your department - in most universities, it's covered with posters for various programs.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?