Reconciling Reimann's Series Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses Reimann's Rearrangement Theorem, which states that a conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to sum to any arbitrary real number. The speaker has arrived at a result that does not agree with this theorem and is seeking an explanation for the discrepancy. They propose a possible explanation but are unsure and would appreciate confirmation from someone else. The conversation then delves into a discussion of bijections and the role they play in the rearrangement theorem. The expert summarizer notes that the heart of the theorem lies in the fact that different bijections can lead to different limits for finite sums, which in turn can result in the infinite sum being equal to multiple values. This highlights the importance of considering all possible
eyesontheball1

Homework Statement

It's well known that Reimann's Rearrangement Theorem states that if a real-valued series is conditionally convergent, then its terms can be rearranged to sum to any arbitrary real number. I've arrived at a result that doesn't agree with this statement, and so I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could explain to me why my result differs from what's stated in the said theorem. I think I might know why my result differs, but I'd be grateful if someone else could confirm for me why my result differs if possible. Thanks in advance!

p.s. - I'm sorry for not typing out everything below using LateX code. It's been a while since I've written LateX code and this entire post would have taken me much longer if I were to take the time to brush up on LateX syntax. I know this makes it more of a hassle for someone to read through and comprehend my post, and so I apologize for this.[/B]

Homework Equations

S_n = sum[k=1, n]{a_k}, where all the a_k are real-valued

S = sum[k=1, infinity]{a_k}

S_n(sigma) = sum[k=1, n]{a_sigma(k)}, where sigma: First n positive integers -> First n positive integers, so that sigma is a bijection.

S(sigma) = sum[k=1, infinity]{a_sigma(k)}, where sigma: The positive integers -> The positive integers, so that sigma is a bijection.

The Attempt at a Solution

When n=2, we have S_2 = sum[k=1, 2]{a_k} = sum[k=1, 2]{a_sigma(k)} = S_2(sigma), where sigma is any bijection from {1,2} to {1,2}.

Assuming the equation, S_n = sum[k=1, n]{a_k} = sum[k=1, n]{a_sigma(k)} = S_n(sigma), with sigma being any bijection from the first n positive integers to the first n positive integers, holds for some arbitrary positive integer n that's greater than 2, we can prove that the equation, S_n+1 = S_n+1(sigma), with sigma being any bijection from the first n+1 positive integers to the first n+1 positive integers, also holds, concluding by induction that the equation, S_N = S_N(sigma), holds for any arbitrary positive integer N and for any bijection between the first N positive integers as follows:

S_n = S_n(sigma) => sum[k=1, n]{a_k} = sum[k=1, n]{a_sigma(k)} =>

sum[k=1, n]{a_k} + a_k+1 = sum[k=1, n]{a_sigma(k)} + a_k+1 =>

S_n+1 = sum[k=1, n]{a_sigma(k)} + a_k+1,

and sum[k=1, n]{a_sigma(k)} + a_k+1 = sum[k=1, sigma(k) =/ n+1 for all k /= n+1, n+1]{a_sigma(k)}

= sum[k=1, n+1]{a_sigma(k)} = S_n+1(sigma) =>

S_n+1 = S_n+1(sigma).

Therefore, the equation S_n = S_n(sigma) holds for any positive integer n and any possible bijection, sigma, between the first n positive integers.

With this in mind, let's consider the sum, S'_n(sigma) = sum[k=1, n]{a'_sigma(k)} = sum[k=1, n]{a_k - a_sigma(k)} = S_n - S_n(sigma).

We know that for any positive integer, n, we must have S'_n(sigma) = 0.

It then follows that for all epsilon > 0, there exists a positive integer, N, s.t. if n > N, then 0 <= | S'_n(sigma) - 0 | < epsilon, since, regardless of the value of epsilon that we choose, any positive integer N that we choose will suffice to make this statement true. Hence, we have that...

{For all epsilon > 0, there exists a positive integer, N, s.t. n > N => 0 <= | S'_n(sigma) - 0 | < epsilon} =>

lim[n -> infinity]{S'_n(sigma)} = 0 =>

lim[n -> infinity]{S_n - S_n(sigma)} = 0 =>

lim[n -> infinity]{S_n} = lim[n -> infinity]{S_n(sigma)} =>

S = S(sigma), where sigma is any bijection between the positive integers.

Physics news on Phys.org
The concern I have with this is that your bijection sigma is always limited to whatever finite n you are working with. You are essentially concluding that any finite sum is equal to the rearrangement of the finite sum and the rest of the series is identical at any n. If you were to allow sigma to be any bijection from ##\mathbb{Z}^+ \to \mathbb{Z}^+## you would not be able to make the same claims about equality in the finite sums, though it would be expected that the infinite sum would be the same. This, I think, is the heart of the rearrangement theorem. You can have different limits to the finite sums which would lead to concluding that the infinite sum could be equal to multiple values. In your example, you are fixing the finite sums to have the same values, and implicitly stating that the infinite tails are identical, since the bijection of the first n integers would not apply to the tails.

That was my concern as well. I'm a little confused by the part of your response where you say "If you were to allow sigma to be any bijection from Z+→Z+ you would not be able to make the same claims about equality in the finite sums, though it would be expected that the infinite sum would be the same. This, I think, is the heart of the rearrangement theorem. You can have different limits to the finite sums which would lead to concluding that the infinite sum could be equal to multiple values.". At first you state that if I were to allow sigma to be any bijection, then the finite sums would not necessarily be equal, although the infinite sum would be expected to be the same, and then you state that the different limits to the finite sums would lead to an infinite sum that could be equal to multiple values. When you use the word 'expected' here, you're not stating that the infinite sum actually would be the same, right? In other words, you're using the word 'expected' in the sense that intuition would lead one to believe that the infinite sums would be the same, although the truth is the contrary, right?

The following are provable theorems:

1. If ##\sum a_n## is convergent but not absolutely convergent, then for all ##r\in\mathbb{R}##, there is a permutation ##\sigma## of ##\mathbb{N}## such that ##\sum a_{\sigma(n)}=r##.

2. If ##\sum a_n## is convergent and ##\sigma## is a permutation of ##\mathbb{N}## such that there is ##M\in\mathbb{N}## with ##|\sigma(n)-n|\leq M## for all ##n##, then ##\sum a_{\sigma(n)}## is convergent and ##\sum a_{\sigma(n)}=\sum a_n##.

Your result relies on permutations that are "bounded" like those in (2).

That's right. Taking the infinite sum to be the limit of finite sums allows us to define it to be a variety of values based on choice of arrangement. Although the terms in either arrangement of infinite sums is the same, so the definition of the sum should intuitively be the same.

Gotcha. Thanks, guys!

1. What is Reimann's Series Theorem?

Reimann's Series Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a series is conditionally convergent, then it can be rearranged in any order to converge to any desired limit, including infinity or negative infinity.

2. How does Reimann's Series Theorem differ from other convergence tests?

Reimann's Series Theorem is unique in that it does not rely on specific conditions for the series to converge, such as the ratio test or the integral test. It applies to any conditionally convergent series, regardless of its specific properties.

3. What are some real-world applications of Reimann's Series Theorem?

Reimann's Series Theorem has applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. For example, it can be used to rearrange infinite sums in Fourier series to simplify calculations, or to analyze the convergence of infinite sums in economic models.

4. Are there any limitations to Reimann's Series Theorem?

Reimann's Series Theorem only applies to conditionally convergent series, which are a special type of infinite series that do not converge absolutely. Additionally, the rearrangement of terms must be done in a specific way for the theorem to hold.

5. How does Reimann's Series Theorem relate to the zeta function?

The zeta function, also known as the Riemann zeta function, is closely related to Reimann's Series Theorem. Both concepts were developed by Bernhard Riemann and have applications in number theory and complex analysis. The zeta function can be used to evaluate the convergence of infinite series, and Reimann's Series Theorem can be used to rearrange these series to explore their different convergence properties.