Velocity of sports car in truck collision using momentum conservation

  • Thread starter Thread starter gfrant7070
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Auto Crash
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
gfrant7070
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Skid marks at auto accidents are used to reconstruct traffic accidents. In this particular scenario, a truck of mass 1750kg moving with a velocity of (22m/s, 90 degrees) collided with a sports car of mass 1025 kg moving with an unknown velocity. After the collision, the vehicles stuck together and moved off at an angle of 138 degrees with respect to east (0 degrees). The skid marks are 57m long. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is determined to be .37, what was the velocity of the sports car at the time of the collision? Assume there is level ground at the location of the collision.



The Attempt at a Solution



N/A, I'm stuck on step 1


Any help is appreciated guys, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1 is to find an applicable equation. And it's tough to get stuck there. Think about conservation of momentum.
 
Yeah; through a series of unfortunate events I lost my textbook :( I know there is a somewhat simple equation, but I just don't know what it is. I googled around, but nothing came up. If someone can post the equation for me I can try and just go from there.
 
Momentum is conserved. Momentum is m*v. So m1*v1+m2*v2=m3*v3. Be warned that the v's are vectors. BTW, that's not the sort of equation you should really have to memorize. It's more of a concept than an equation.