Reconstructing Auto Accident: Truck & Sports Car

• Thread starter gfrant7070
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Auto Crash
In summary, traffic accidents can be reconstructed using skid marks. In this specific case, a truck and a sports car collided on level ground. The skid marks were 57m long and the coefficient of kinetic friction was .37. Using the concept of conservation of momentum, it can be determined that the velocity of the sports car at the time of the collision was unknown.
gfrant7070

Homework Statement

Skid marks at auto accidents are used to reconstruct traffic accidents. In this particular scenario, a truck of mass 1750kg moving with a velocity of (22m/s, 90 degrees) collided with a sports car of mass 1025 kg moving with an unknown velocity. After the collision, the vehicles stuck together and moved off at an angle of 138 degrees with respect to east (0 degrees). The skid marks are 57m long. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is determined to be .37, what was the velocity of the sports car at the time of the collision? Assume there is level ground at the location of the collision.

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A, I'm stuck on step 1

Any help is appreciated guys, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1 is to find an applicable equation. And it's tough to get stuck there. Think about conservation of momentum.

Yeah; through a series of unfortunate events I lost my textbook :( I know there is a somewhat simple equation, but I just don't know what it is. I googled around, but nothing came up. If someone can post the equation for me I can try and just go from there.

Momentum is conserved. Momentum is m*v. So m1*v1+m2*v2=m3*v3. Be warned that the v's are vectors. BTW, that's not the sort of equation you should really have to memorize. It's more of a concept than an equation.

1. What caused the truck and sports car accident?

The cause of the accident was a combination of factors including the truck driver's failure to yield, the sports car's excessive speed, and road conditions.

2. Were there any injuries reported from the accident?

Yes, there were several injuries reported from both the truck and sports car occupants. The severity of the injuries ranged from minor to critical.

3. How long does it take to reconstruct an auto accident?

The time it takes to reconstruct an auto accident can vary depending on the complexity of the case and the availability of evidence. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months.

4. What methods are used to reconstruct an auto accident?

Accident reconstruction experts use a variety of methods including physical evidence analysis, computer simulations, and witness statements to reconstruct the sequence of events leading up to the accident.

5. Can accident reconstruction be used in court?

Yes, accident reconstruction can be used as evidence in court. It can help determine fault and hold the responsible party accountable for their actions.