1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recovering function from its gradient

1. Dec 10, 2012 #1
    Hi all,
    I've to recover a function ∅ such that F=∇∅,F=3x^2y i +(x^3+2yz)j+y^2k.
    So, ∂∅/∂x=3x^2y, Integrating w.r.t. x
    ∅=x^3y+f(y,z) ,Assuming there may be function of y and z.----------1
    ∴∂∅/∂y=x^3+f'(y,z)
    now, ∂∅/∂y=(x^3+2yz)=x^3+f'(y,z)
    ∴f'(y,z)=2yz
    To find ∅ from 1 I've to find f(y,z).
    My problem is how to get f(y,z) from f'(y,z),should I integrate it w.r.t. y or z?
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK so far

You shouldn't use ' for a partial derivative. What you have is ##\phi_y = x^3 +f_y(y,z)## which must equal ##x^3+2yz##.
    And that illustrates perfectly why you should use the partial symbol instead of the '. So what you actually have to solve at this step is ##f_y(y,z) = 2yz##. Can you finish it From there?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  4. Dec 10, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Now I got it, I've to integrate it w.r.t. y to get ##f_y(y,z)## to get f(y,z),Right?
    Btw, I've got a new problem,F=i(x3z-2xyz)+j(xy-3x2yz)+k(yz2-zx) is a solenoidal vector field.I've to find a V such that F=∇XV
    So,now it comes to find a vector field from its curl.How can I find it? In my book only from gradient was explained but not from curl :cry: So please help me out.

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Don't know if there's a smarter way, but the obvious is to write out three PDEs, one for each component of F.

6. Dec 10, 2012 #5
    Sorry,I exactly didn't get you.
    I think PDE=partial differential equations.If so with respect to which variable x,y,or z or all of them?
    Please say something more,
    Thanks a lot for your help.

7. Dec 11, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. You know the definition of and of cross-product, so given the vector that results, F, you can write down three PDEs, one for each component of ∇XV. That gives you three equations involving ∂V/∂x etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook