Recreational problem involving circles, cords, and areas

In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem involving placing dots on a circle and connecting them with chords. The question is how many sections of area are created by the chords, with the answer being 2 for 2 dots, 4 for 3 dots, 8 for 4 dots, etc. There is a recursive definition and explicit formula for finding the number of sections based on the number of dots. The conversation then shifts to discussing the "missing area" problem and a formula for finding the maximum number of areas created by chords not equally spaced around the circle. The conversation ends with the participants expressing their interest in further researching this problem.
srfriggen
Hello all,

I've been trying to work out this problem I came across yesterday when a professor mentioned it in a math education course. It states, "Take a circle and put two dots on the circle then connect them with a cord. How many sections of area does the cord split the circle into?" Of course the answer is 2.

Now do it with 3 dots. The answer is 4.
Now do it with 4 dots. The answer is 8.
Now do it with 5 dots. The answer is 16.
How many if there are 6 dots?

One might think, naively as I did, that the formula for the number of sections is 2n-1, so 6 dots should have 32 sections. But it actually has 31. That was the point of the lesson.

We never got the formula so I've been trying to figure one out.

I decided to look at the number of dots and how many cords they form, and I was able to find a recursive definition and conjecture a formula. I proved it using induction.

I will write the information out like this: # of dots / #of cords;

1 / 0
2 / 1
3 / 3
4 / 6
5 / 10
6 / 15
7 / 21
8 / 28

The recursive series can be understood as s(n)=s(n-1) + (n-1), and the explicit formula is:

s(n)=(n-1)+(n-2)+...+ 3+2+1.

Now I have a nice relationship between dots and cords. Next I will show you the table of dots to cords to sections, which I worked out manually up to n=7.

1 / 0 / 1
2 / 1 / 2
3 / 3 / 4
4 / 6/ 8
5 / 10 / 16
6 / 15 / 31
7 / 21 / 58
8 / 28 / ?

So this is where I am stuck. I am trying to find a relationship with the number of sections and the number or cords or dots. I do not see any obvious recursive relationship, and certainly do not see any obvious formula.

Perhaps a different set of eyes/synapses on the problem would shed more light. Is there a more systematic approach I can use, rather than jus trying to "see" it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In this context, 'cord' should be 'chord'.

SteamKing said:
In this context, 'cord' should be 'chord'.

lol I'm a musician so I thought to myself, "It can't be chord!"

If you put the six points equally spaced (and draw it carefully enough) then you get 30 not 31 (the small one in the center disappears). So, I'm not sure you can make an algorithm to count them.

edit: how can I get an attachment to show as a little thumbnail, so people don't have to open it to see it?

Attachments

• six_points.pdf
    745.9 KB · Views: 229
gmax137 said:
If you put the six points equally spaced (and draw it carefully enough) then you get 30 not 31 (the small one in the center disappears). So, I'm not sure you can make an algorithm to count them.

Wow. Mind blown! Entire class came up with 31, but difficult to draw perfect circles and perfectly straight lines.

Ok, next I suppose I'll reformulate the question and see if having the dots "evenly spaced" can lead to a formula.

This is a classic problem known as the "missing area" problem.

If you place n dots around a circle NOT equally spaced, but so that the chords divide the interior of the circle into the maximum possible number of areas, the number of areas is given by
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^4 \begin{pmatrix}n \\ i\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
where [itex]\begin{pmatrix}n \\ i\end{pmatrix}[/itex] is 0 if i> n.

If n 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4, that gives the binomial coefficient expansion of [itex](1+ 1)^n= 2^n[/itex]. For n= 5, it is missing only the last term, 1, so is [/itex]2^5- 1= 31[/itex]. For n= 6, it is missing the last two terms, 5(1)+ 1= 6, so is [itex]2^6- 6= 64- 6= 58[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
This is a classic problem known as the "missing area" problem.

If you place n dots around a circle NOT equally spaced, but so that the chords divide the interior of the circle into the maximum possible number of areas, the number of areas is given by
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^4 \begin{pmatrix}n \\ i\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
where [itex]\begin{pmatrix}n \\ i\end{pmatrix}[/itex] is 0 if i> n.

If n 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4, that gives the binomial coefficient expansion of [itex](1+ 1)^n= 2^n[/itex]. For n= 5, it is missing only the last term, 1, so is [/itex]2^5- 1= 31[/itex]. For n= 6, it is missing the last two terms, 5(1)+ 1= 6, so is [itex]2^6- 6= 64- 6= 58[/itex].

thanks! I'm going to research this some more! Appreciate the help everyone!

1. What is the recreational problem involving circles, cords, and areas?

The recreational problem involving circles, cords, and areas is a mathematical puzzle that involves finding the length of a cord (or string) that is wrapped around two circles with known areas. The goal is to find the length of the cord that will create the maximum possible enclosed area between the two circles.

2. What is the significance of this problem?

This problem is significant because it demonstrates the relationship between circles, cords, and areas. It also requires the use of mathematical concepts such as geometry, algebra, and optimization. Additionally, it has real-world applications in fields such as engineering and architecture.

3. How can this problem be solved?

This problem can be solved by using the formulas for the area of a circle and the Pythagorean theorem. First, the areas of the two circles are determined. Then, the length of the cord can be expressed in terms of the radii of the circles. Finally, by taking the derivative of the enclosed area function and setting it to zero, the optimal length of the cord can be found.

4. What are some variations of this problem?

Some variations of this problem include using different shapes, such as squares or rectangles, instead of circles. Another variation is to have a fixed length for the cord and finding the maximum possible area between the circles. There are also variations that involve three or more circles instead of just two.

5. What are the practical applications of this problem?

Aside from its applications in engineering and architecture, this problem can also be used in the design of amusement park rides or roller coasters. It can also be used in the manufacturing of circular objects, such as tires or pipes, to determine the most efficient use of materials. Additionally, it can be used in game design and puzzle creation.