1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectangular Optical Wavguide - EM Wave

1. Jul 28, 2007 #1
    Hello All, this is my first post, and while I'm a newb to the forums I'm not a newb to Optics. However, I have a very light background in low level electromagnetics, I'm more of a network design person.

I'm working on a very very long term personal project to understand optics better and I've come to the point where I would like to understand how to calculate how an EM-Wave propagates down a Rectangular Optical Waveguide. This waveguide is made of one glass material "n=1.47", it has nothing but air surrounding it. "See the attached image"

If I take the standard wave equation of:
    [tex]{ \partial^2 u \over \partial t^2 } = c^2 \nabla^2 u[/tex]

and I calculate that the speed of light in the medium "with a refractive index or n=1.47" is
    [tex]c = { c_o \over n } = { 1 \over \sqrt{ \mu \varepsilon } } [/tex]
    which equals: 203945578.23

What's my next step?
    Am I even going in the right direction?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2007 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

both Jackson and Griffiths (and probably every EM book ever written) have sections on waveguides, and in particular on rectangular waveguides like the one you are interested in... I would probably start with Griffiths if I were you:

Griffiths, "Introduction to Electrodynamics", section 9.5 (Guided Waves), especially section 9.5.2 (TE waves in a rectangular Wave Guide)

4. Jul 29, 2007 #3
    Thanks, I'll start there.

5. Jul 29, 2007 #4
    I got a hold of a copy of: Griffiths, "Introduction to Electrodynamics", section 9.5 (Guided Waves) .. and read through chapter 9...

I guess my problem is the level of math is above what I'm used to.

Can anyone explain the standard wave equation?

[tex]{ \partial^2 u \over \partial t^2 } = c^2 \nabla^2 u[/tex]

What do each part represent, I can't seem to visualize what it stands for.

6. Jul 29, 2007 #5

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

It's easier to start off with just one space dimension, in which case we have:

[tex]
    \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}u(x,t)=\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}u(x,t)
    [/tex]

Now, consider a function [tex]u(x,t)[/tex] that depends on space and time only through the single variable [tex]x-ct[/tex]. That is, for any function of one variable [tex]f(w)[/tex] define
    [tex]
    u(x,t)=f(x-ct)
    [/tex]

then
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=f'(x-ct)
    [/tex]

and
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=-cf'(x-ct)
    [/tex]

thus
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}=\frac{1}{(-c)^2}\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}
    [/tex]
    I.e., u satisfies the wave equation... so how to interpret this form of u?

well, for example, if the function f has a pronounced peak somewhere, then as time goes on the location of the peak moves along with a velocity c. If at t=0 f has a peak at x=x_0 then at t=t' f has a peak at x_0+ct'. Etc.

So, to try and answer your questions:

c is the velocity at which the wave (who's amplitude is described by u(x,t) at time t and position x) travels.

in the context of EM we usually arrive at wave equations where the roll of u is played by the amplitudes of the fields.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  7. Jul 29, 2007 #6
    Ok, I've got to go back to the basics again:

Can you explain curl?

as in how do I do it, I've read many portions of many books that say by taking the curl of Maxwell's equations 2 and 4, we can derive the Wave equation for E. However I don't understand how they get from this: "See the attached"

Attached Files:

8. Jul 29, 2007 #7

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

"Curl" can be thought of as a differential operator that acts on vectors it's also written with the nabla [tex]\nabla[/tex] and cross-product [tex]\times[/tex] symbols as
    [tex]
    curl\vec V=\vec \nabla\times \vec V
    [/tex]
    I.e., curl V is a vector whose cartesian components are given by
    [tex]
    (curl V)_x=\frac{\partial V_z}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial V_y}{\partial z}
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    (curl V)_y=\frac{\partial V_x}{\partial z}-\frac{\partial V_z}{\partial x}
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    (curl V)_z=\frac{\partial V_y}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial V_x}{\partial y}
    [/tex]

9. Jul 30, 2007 #8

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

...now, you get to start memorizing properties of the curl. For example, since the curl of a vector is also a vector you can take the curl twice. For example:
    [tex]
    \vec \nabla \times (\vec \nabla \times \vec V)\;.
    [/tex]

It turns out that that is equal to
    [tex]
    -\nabla^2\vec V+\vec\nabla(\vec \nabla\cdot\vec V)
    [/tex]

So, for example, it you have [tex]\vec \nabla\cdot \vec V=0[/tex] (like if V was a magnetic field) then you would have
    [tex]
    \nabla\times\nabla\times\vec B=-\nabla^2\vec B\;.
    [/tex]

Low and behold there is the spatial part of a wave equation!

10. Jul 30, 2007 #9

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

... but from maxwell's equation we also know that (in the absence of sources)
    [tex]
    \nabla\times B=\frac{\partial E}{c\partial t}
    [/tex]

and [tex]\nabla\times E=\frac{\partial B}{-c\partial t}[/tex]so that
    [tex]
    \nabla\times\nabla\times B=\nabla\times\frac{\partial E}{c\partial t}=-\frac{\partial^2 B}{c^2\partial t^2}
    [/tex]

Low and behold, the other half of your wave-equation. Thus all together we have:
    [tex]
    -\nabla^2\vec B=\frac{\partial^2}{-c^2\partial t^2}\vec B
    [/tex]

...we can look for solutions to maxwell's equation that are travelling waves whose velocity is c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?