Red Light Cameras being abused again in FLA.

• Thread starter nsaspook
  • Start date
rcgldr
Homework Helper
At the end of the left turn cycle all lights stay red in all directions for 2 seconds to allow traffic to clear the intersection.
I think the situation was similar in San Diego. When the yellow duration was reduced, the red in all directions duration was increased to compensate, in order to maintain the same safety margin, while at the same time increasing the number of red light camera infractions. I don't if there were any cases where the safety margin was reduced, since that would probably trigger lawsuits, especially if an accident occurred.

The turn arrows come on at the end of the straight thru cycle rather than at the beginning. This is supposedly for safety reasons.
I'm not sure why turn after straight would be safer. In California, you have turn before or turn after, sometimes depending on the direction (like north is turn before, south is turn after). Some intersections have smart controllers with sensors further back from the intersection to set red and green lights for straight, left or right based on traffic patterns with a default setting for the most common expected traffic pattern.

Last edited:
I think the situation was similar in San Diego. When the yellow duration was reduced, the red in all directions duration was increased to compensate, in order to maintain the same safety margin, while at the same time increasing the number of red light camera infractions. I don't if there were any cases where the safety margin was reduced, since that would probably trigger lawsuits, especially if an accident occurred.

I'm not sure why turn after straight would be safer. In California, you have turn before or turn after, sometimes depending on the direction (like north is turn before, south is turn after). Some intersections have smart controllers with sensors further back from the intersection to set red and green lights for straight, left or right based on traffic patterns with a default setting for the most common expected traffic pattern.

We have turn both before and after here too. In the City of Tucson the left turn is always lagging.

Supposedly the lagging turn arrow is safer because any oncoming traffic is in front of a driver where it can be seen and not coming in from the side.

Edit

Last edited:
A lot of Cities , like Tucson need to modernize their traffic lights. We are still using the old incandescent lights that have been around for nearly 100 years. There are much more visible LED lights available.

For wide intersections lights larger in diameter are available. There are countdown lights that show how much time is left on the green.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Traffic_light_countdown_-_green.JPG

The various jurisdictions say the cameras are all about safety. How about we actually make intersections safer and then think about the cameras?

nsaspook
Science Advisor
http://money.msn.com/auto-insurance/article.aspx?post=18ac2354-6f22-493a-9359-4d896ddddf7e

"Seems to me that such a program can only be justified if there are demonstrable facts that prove that they raise the safety awareness and decrease accidents in our city," San Diego Mayor Bob Filner said. "The data, in fact, does not really prove it."

The Federal Highway Administration says the technology reduces right-angle crashes with injuries by 15%. But the same study found rear-end accidents with injuries increase by 24%.

San Diego's mayor also said the cameras bred disrespect for the law and distrust among people who thought they were only there to generate revenue for the city.

Yep, and the cupholders in some of them (I'm looking at you, Porsche...) are still clearly pitiful afterthoughts that are basically useless.

[Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
There's never a valid excuse for running a red light, I've never "accidently" run a red light. It's because when people see a yellow light, they think it means "keep going you fool, the light's about to turn red. I've seen people speed up trying to beat the light instead of stopping. I've stopped without a problem and the car that tried to outrun the light was a bit behind me in the other lane. I've seen near rear ends caused by people that stopped when the light turned yellow and the car behind assumed that they would keep driving.

An interesting point Evo, and wonder how it generally effects the situation below. (countdown timers at intersections)

The city of Ottawa has updated* some intersections with a countdown timer on the cross walk signal. Interestingly I find this helps greatly! In particular in poor weather conditions and stopping distance decreased.

Less wordy, I find my self sometimes starting to brake even when the light is green, knowing the cycle is about to change by the time I get to the intersection.

*for all I know these have been used in the states for years.

Last edited:
So far I have only seen countdown lights at pedestrian crossings in this country.