Red Shift and Receding Galaxies

In summary, the redshift of galaxies is evidence for an expanding universe. Astronomers measure the redshift by looking for absorption lines in the spectra of galaxies, which occur at longer wavelengths than those in lab. The farther a galaxy is, the faster it is moving away from us due to the expansion of space. This is similar to a cookie sheet expanding in a hot oven. However, the redshift of light is not due to the doppler effect, but rather the stretching of light's wavelength by the expansion of space.
Peter G.
Hi,

I understand the idea of red shift and how that explains that galaxies are receding, etc.

I just don't understand how the measurement is made.

I know that, in labs, we can shine white light at hydrogen and analyze the absorption spectrum. Some black lines are going to show up, due to the fact that specific wavelength corresponds to a frequency, which corresponds to an energy that is equal to one of the change in energy levels of that element.

But what do they measure/analyze in order to get the red shifted spectrum? I am terribly confused! :redface:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronomers look for the same absorption lines of hydrogen and other elements in the spectra of galaxies as the absorption lines produced by these elements in the lab. They find that the absorption lines for the galaxies occur at longer wavelengths than those in the lab.

You can find lots of info by just doing a web search on "redshift galaxies". For example,
http://astro.wku.edu/astr106/Hubble_intro.html

I see! Thank you.

Oh and, if you don't mind, could you help me with another problem I am having?

I understand how the red shift of light from distant galaxies can be used as evidence for an expanding universe. But, how does the fact that the galaxies further away are moving faster serve as evidence too?

The redshift of galaxies is due to the expansion of space itself. A galaxy farther away will increase its distance from us faster than a nearby galaxy because there is more space between us and the distant galaxy to expand. An analogy would be to put a cookie sheet in an hot oven. The sheet will expand while its temperature is increasing. The speed at which two points of the sheet move away from one another while the sheet is expanding is proportional to the distance separating them.

However, analogies can be misleading. The redshift of light from galaxies is not due to the doppler effect. Rather, the wavelength of light from distant galaxies is stretched by the expansion of space itself. At least that's my understanding.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I can understand your confusion about the measurement of red shift in galaxies. The measurement of red shift is based on the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave due to the relative motion of the source and the observer. In the case of galaxies, the red shift is caused by the expansion of the universe, which is stretching the wavelengths of light as it travels through space. This stretching of the wavelengths causes a shift towards the red end of the spectrum, hence the term "red shift."

To measure this red shift, astronomers use a spectrometer, which is a device that separates light into its different wavelengths. They observe the light coming from a galaxy and compare it to the light emitted by a known element, such as hydrogen. If the wavelengths of the observed light are longer than the known wavelengths, it indicates that the galaxy is moving away from us and is experiencing a red shift. The amount of red shift can also tell us the velocity at which the galaxy is moving away from us.

I hope this helps to clarify the measurement of red shift in galaxies. It is an important tool in understanding the expansion of the universe and the movement of galaxies. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for your interest in this topic.

1. What is red shift and how does it relate to receding galaxies?

Red shift is the phenomenon in which light from a distant galaxy appears to have a longer wavelength or a redder color than it should due to the galaxy's movement away from us. It is caused by the Doppler effect, where the wavelength of light is stretched as the source moves away from the observer. This is a key piece of evidence for the expansion of the universe and the receding of galaxies.

2. How is red shift measured and what does it tell us about a galaxy?

Red shift is measured using a spectrometer, which breaks down light into its individual wavelengths. By comparing the observed wavelength of light from a distant galaxy to its known, original wavelength, scientists can determine the amount of red shift and therefore the galaxy's velocity and distance from us. This information can tell us about the galaxy's age, size, and position in the universe.

3. Can red shift be seen in all galaxies?

Yes, red shift can be observed in all galaxies. However, the amount of red shift will vary depending on the distance of the galaxy from us. Galaxies that are closer to us will exhibit a smaller red shift than those that are farther away, as their movements away from us are less significant in relation to the vastness of the universe.

4. How does red shift support the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory states that the universe began with a massive explosion and has been expanding ever since. Red shift is one piece of evidence that supports this theory, as it shows that galaxies are moving away from each other and the universe is expanding. Additionally, the amount of red shift observed in distant galaxies is consistent with the predicted rate of expansion based on the Big Bang theory.

5. Can red shift be used to determine the age of the universe?

Yes, red shift can be used to estimate the age of the universe. By measuring the amount of red shift in light from the most distant galaxies, scientists have calculated that the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years old. This is consistent with other methods of estimating the age of the universe, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the ages of the oldest stars in our galaxy.