Red-shift question from another thread.

• Thread starter Jufro
  • Start date

Homework Statement

This is not a HW questions but from another thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4495692&posted=1#post4495692

The statement I made was that if z increases for a source, then it is accelerating away. Or, it could that if z is constant then the sources moves with constant velocity away from an observer.

I just need to know where my logic is breaking down and what direction I can try to find the right answer.

Homework Equations

I took the equation:
1+z = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1+v/c}{1-v/c}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So taking d/dt on both sides I end up with:

dz/dt = 1/2 [itex]\frac{1+v/c}{1-v/c}-1/2[/itex]*[itex]\frac{(1/c dv/dt)*(1-v/c)-(1/c dv/dt)*(1+v/c)}{(1-v/c)2}[/itex]

Re-writting this:

dz/dt= [itex]\frac{-v* dv/dt}{c2*(z+1)*(1-v/c)2}[/itex]

Since the first term is negative (from the minus sign) and v is positive, then a positive dz/dt would require that dv/dt is negative or that the sources acceleration is radially inward when I had suspected outward.

This may be a result of me using the flat-spacetime (Minkowski metric) but I am not sure. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Please and thank you.

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

This is not a HW questions but from another thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4495692&posted=1#post4495692

The statement I made was that if z increases for a source, then it is accelerating away. Or, it could that if z is constant then the sources moves with constant velocity away from an observer.

I just need to know where my logic is breaking down and what direction I can try to find the right answer.

Homework Equations

I took the equation:
$$1+z = \sqrt{\frac{1+v/c}{1-v/c}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So taking d/dt on both sides I end up with:
$$\frac{dz}{dt} = \frac{1}{2} \left(\frac{1+v/c}{1-v/c}\right)^{-1/2} \frac{(1/c\ dv/dt)(1-v/c)-(1/c\ dv/dt)(1+v/c)}{(1-v/c)^2}.$$ Re-writing this:
$$\frac{dz}{dt}= \frac{-v\ dv/dt}{c^2(z+1)(1-v/c)^2}.$$ Since the first term is negative (from the minus sign) and v is positive, then a positive dz/dt would require that dv/dt is negative or that the sources acceleration is radially inward when I had suspected outward.

This may be a result of me using the flat-spacetime (Minkowski metric) but I am not sure. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Please and thank you.
You dropped a sign when you applied the quotient rule. The numerator should end up as a sum, not a difference.

Ah, I used the wrong derivative in the second half of my quotient rule. Thanks for that.