Rediscovering Amazing Music from the 90's: Oasis, STP, and Nirvana

• Music
  • Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, Warren is reminiscing about the 90s and how much better it used to be. He misses the music of the past and thinks that modern music is not as good. He likes Nirvana, Oasis, and STP. He does not like modern rap.
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
I was going through some of my old cds from the early to mid 90's that I haven't listen to in years and I'm just blown away by the quality of music. I can't get enough Oasis, STP and Nirvana, especially Oasis. Modern music pals in comparison to what it used to be until the whole pop/rap craze. I miss the 90's now. :frown:

So, have you guys and gals rediscovered any music that you thought was amazing?

Science news on Phys.org
dduardo said:
So, have you guys and gals rediscovered any music that you thought was amazing?

Nope, except for a very few songs and bands, I don't listen to anything released after 1998. This decade sucks for music.

Music seems to exert its influence mostly through emotions. When I listen to Pearl Jam, I can't help feeling nostalgic. It's not that 90's music is really that amazing, it's just that it reminds us of (hopefully happy) times past.

Almost everyone goes through this -- my father still loves the music he listened to when he was a teenager. It's scary, but in the future there will be people who will look back fondly on Britney and N'Sync in the same way.

- Warren

I have always remained found and familiar with msot favorites from the 60s, 70s, and 80's, but what amazes me are some of the really, really cheesy songs from my teen years [70's] that I still like. The other day Math IH and I were talking about a good example: One Tin Soldier [The Legend of Billy Jack], by Coven; vintage ~ 1973.

I never noticed back then how much brass was used in pop music. Funny since I don't like brass much now.

Nirvana is my favorite band. Today I think quality music has become less important than the marketing of the music to make money.

How about Roxette? "Don't bore us - get to the chorus!" :smile:
Or the Cranberries with Zombie..
the Four non-blonds with What's up..

You know, I couldn't name you a single song from this century :eek:
oh wait, I can.. but only from Alanis Morissette.. :)

Last edited:
One of my friend's sister was a huge Cranberries fan. Their music is good, but I couldn't get past the lead singer's yodeling in zombie. At least that's what it sounds to me.

Most of my favorite composers have been dead over a century. :biggrin:

I was going through some of my old cds from the early to mid 90's that I haven't listen to in years and I'm just blown away by the quality of music. I can't get enough Oasis, STP and Nirvana, especially Oasis. Modern music pals in comparison to what it used to be until the whole pop/rap craze. I miss the 90's now.

I agree...except I'm talking about Hip Hop.

The Rap nowadays is horrible. It's aimed towards white, suburban kids, as opposed to adults like the old kind. It's also horrible how all they talk about is their Mercedes, their *****es, money or jewlery.

The early-mid 90's rap lyrics had a lot of thought in them, and it was aimed towards people who could understand it. Not rich kids that want to be tough.

Most of the music I listen to is Classic Rock - so 60s, and 70s (some 80s, very little 90s and almost nothing after).

Somehow, I really can't appreciate Hip-Hop or Pop. I listen to a little Jazz (again folks from a couple decades ago - Sachmo, Monk, Davis, Coltrane...), some Classical, very little folk or country, almost no death metal (or whatever you call it). However, most good hard rock bands seem to come out with a few really inspired pieces.

In the 90s you had some good Grunge bands (Nirvana, Soul Asylum), Alternative bands (REM, DMB) and just some good Rock (mostly from older bands that never die, like Maiden, Metallica but with some not too terrible newbies too.)

I remember Kris Kross with 'Jump' :eek:

Monique said:
Oh nooooo you did not! :uhh:

- Warren

omg yes :rofl:
Don't try to compare us to another bad little fad
I'm the Mac and I'm bad give you something that you never had
I'll make you Jump Jump wiggle and shake your rump
Cause I'll be kicking the flavor that makes you want to Jump
How high? Real high
Cause I'm just so fly
A young loveable, huggable type of guy
And everything is the back with a little slack
And inside-out is wiggida wiggida wack
I come stompin' with somethi' to keep you jumpin'
R&B abd bullcrap is what I'm dumpin'
And ain't something about Kris Kross we all that
So when they ask to the rocks they believe that
btw on a note: I looked the lyrics up.. for the record :wink:

Monique said:

I remember it too, kinda like I remember the last time I went to the dentist.

Speaking of remembering, the was a decent number by Skidrow - was it called I Remember You ?

Gokul43201 said:
Speaking of remembering, the was a decent number by Skidrow - was it called I Remember You ?

Now you're talking my language! Let's bring back the Power Ballad! YEAH!

There were some of those too in the 90s : Poison, Mr. Big, Extreme, G'n'R, Scorpions(mostly 80's maybe)...others ?

Hurkyl said:

I had a math professor who argued that no good music has been written since 1791. He was absolutely serious.

But what about the romantic era? :cry:

ahhh... The dark side of the moon album... by pink floyd. :bugeye:

90's music is by far superior then the 80's...one of my favorite songs that come to mind--trigger happy jack by Poe...what i would give to be able to seranade this to my ex :rofl:

Hurkyl said:
But what about the romantic era? :cry:

What about Floyd and The Eagles! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hurkyl said:
:cry:
Zappa ?

dduardo said:
I was going through some of my old cds from the early to mid 90's that I haven't listen to in years and I'm just blown away by the quality of music. I can't get enough Oasis, STP and Nirvana, especially Oasis. Modern music pals in comparison to what it used to be until the whole pop/rap craze. I miss the 90's now. :frown:
QUOTE]

I know the feeling of hearing something that you haven't heard in a while and loving it. Many songs I have never stopped listening to, though. I still listen to my "...And Justice For All" cassette! (as well as mp3s from the album) STP rocked. Now, Nirvana, there is a band that I used to like a lot. However, I listened to the bleach album recently, and I realized how horrible it is. It's not catching. It's not smooth. It's not well-composed. The vocals are screechy and annoying. They have a few classics like Teen Spirit, but overall...bleh.

Ivan Seeking said:
I have always remained found and familiar with msot favorites from the 60s, 70s, and 80's, but what amazes me are some of the really, really cheesy songs from my teen years [70's] that I still like. The other day Math IH and I were talking about a good example: One Tin Soldier [The Legend of Billy Jack], by Coven; vintage ~ 1973.

I never noticed back then how much brass was used in pop music. Funny since I don't like brass much now.

I always liked that song, too - and the movie.

The one I liked that I could never figure out why was that "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key" by Melanie? or someone.

Still like the Eagles, old Jefferson Airplane (and Hot Tuna), Rickie Lee Jones (but not Rick E's in Love), Rory Gallagher.

Now I like artists like Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer (Drum Hat Buddha), Richard Shindell (Sparrow's Point; Cry, Cry, Cry), Eric Taylor ... and Lucinda Williams - she just has that voice that makes you wish the two of you could go walking down a dusty country road drinking a bottle whisky, then get in a fight hitting each other with whisky bottles, and finally just doing it in the road.

Last edited:
Am I the only one here that is baffled by the relevance of the quote to the reply in posts #21 and 22 ?

And why is everbody crying ? There, there, fellows...

Clearly Ivan's prof is a Mozart fan. I too disagree with him. What about Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Chopin; Ravel, Orff and Rachmaninoff ?

I have just three words for you, Gokul:

GABBA GABBA HEY!

For the longest time, pinhead sounded like bee-head, but does it really matter ?

A couple years ago I experienced The Who in concert. That totally blew me away...it felt like the 70s were back again !:tongue:

Last edited:
There's plenty of good music from this century. The Shins, Sigur Ros, Wilco, Neko Case -- just to name some of the less obscure artists...

I really haven't gotten into too much of the music out since the mid-90s. I was chalking it up to turning into an old biddy complaining about that racket the kids are listening to nowadays :biggrin:

I've always enjoyed music across many decades, even centuries. To me, I dislike the "pop" music of the current decade simply because it all sounds the same. It lacks originality, just fitting into a cookie cutter mold of pop music. I was a teen in the 80s, so I'll always have a special connection to that decade of music. But I equally love music from the 60s and 70s. However, I've been finding a few newer songs I've liked too. iTunes offers a free download each week, and I've been downloading them all. Some of these are reasonably well-known artists, but others are up-and-coming new bands. The problem is, beyond that, I don't know where to look for new groups and new songs I like because they aren't being played on the radio, so I don't have much of an opportunity to hear them.

But, then I like anything that can evoke emotions when I listen to it. I have everything in my music library from classical (i.e., Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Handel, Tchaikovsky) to Jazz, Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Rap (not much of that), Country, Big Band, Pop, Show Tunes, whatever. In fact, I think the only thing I don't like listening to on the radio is talking (I hate when they all have those morning talk shows during rush hour and I can't find anything playing music).

I've rediscovered some old music. I absolutely love the music from the 60's. I don't think that any other decade can touch it, with either the rock (Beatles, Cream, Hendrix, Stones, Zeppelin...) or the R&B (James, Aretha, Temps, Tops, Marvin,...)

It's that last genre that I've rediscovered lately. I watched this amazing movie called Standing in the Shadows of Motown about The Funk Brothers (the Motown house band). I promptly busted out my old soul collection and stared groovin'.

In fact, I think I'll fire up the Temps right now. They're my favorite of that era. Perfect 5-part harmony, right from the high soprano to the well-bottom bass. And Ruffin's lead vocal is one of the best ever. Combine that with The Funk Brothers' flawless music, and they really get you.

"...and they refuse to let you go."

BobG said:
The one I liked that I could never figure out why was that "I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key" by Melanie? or someone.

I've got a best of Melanie Safka CD with that song on it. Her other big hit was Lay Down (Candles in the Rain), which is a song so nifty that I can never resist using the REPEAT button to play it several times in a row.

The biggest black mark on the music business is that one cannot purchase the entire oeuvre of Tijuana Brass on CDs.

Hurkyl said:

Yeah. When he said 'Rediscovering Old Music' I thought about Palestrina :biggrin: , cause that's what I've recently discovered was more nice than I thought at first.

I really liked Friday Night in San Francisco by John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola and Paco DiLucia.

It a collection of guitar pieces that they recorded in the '80s and rediscovered only late in the '90s, when the CD came out.

I love them.

METALLICA!

Old school of coarse :biggrin: . I like mostly rock/metal and classic rock (Eagles, Hendrix). I also don't mind classical music.