Redox and other unique battery solutions

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to achieve off-grid independence for a shop and home using wind power. The main obstacle is finding a suitable energy storage solution, with batteries being the most cost-effective option but still posing challenges. Other potential options considered include ethanol production, hydrogen production through electrolysis, hydro pumping, and bio diesel. The group also discusses the limitations and drawbacks of selling excess power back to the grid. The conversation ends with a suggestion to crunch the numbers and analyze the cost and feasibility of producing the necessary amount of batteries.
fastline
We are working on some design ideas to hopefully eventually get our shop and home off the grid with independent power. We are in one of the best locations for wind generation but energy storage becomes an issue and a grid tie system is simply impractical and will not obtain our goals.

the largest obstacle here is the energy storage solutions. We have looked at many solutions but all seem to drive us back towards batteries. We have a facility and the electrical experience to build the systems but some things you just cannot cheat on. for instance, we were considering making our own lead acid battery bank but even doing that, we are limited to either melting our own Lead and machining the plates or buy bulk plate and machining from that. In any case, the system we would need would weight about 50k lbs and cost double that.

I guess we are looking for thoughts and ideas regarding mass energy storage. Size and energy density is NOT an issue, only actual retained energy. We will likely work with some systems to directly use the power as it comes in so we are not left storing as much but will still ultimately have to design for an entire week of no power in an industrial type shop building which needs a decent level of power.

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, I would vastly scale back your battery power and simply invest in some emergency generators or something. I know it doesn't exactly fit your goal, but it is so much easier and cheaper than manufacturing or buying huge amounts of batteries.

Here is a list of common energy densities of fuels and storage methods: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density
That might help you determine the size/weight of whatever you need. (Even though you said it wasn't an issue, trust me, it will be)
Also you can look here for different methods of storage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_storage

Have you looked into things such as large flywheels? Use the power generated to spin it up, and when you need the power back you just take it out of the flywheel.

I suppose you could also use hydrogen generated by electrolysis, however it is VERY VERY dangerous unless used 100% correctly and safely.

here is a short list of options we have considered.

Ethanol production from the heat energy from wind
Hydrogen production from the electric through electrolysis
Direct battery storage
Hydro pumping (not practical in flat ground)
Bio diesel

lots of options but the battery just makes the most sense. The problem is the wind does not blow every day. Running a gas generator at 40% eff even for 1 day/month would totally offset any savings. The shop will maintain a grid connection for alt power but the home will not and the more energy storage we have, the better chance we have of staying off the grid.

From what I gather, power companies buy back power at less than 10% of what they charge so that is a sweet deal for them, not so much for me. I would rather use the extra power to run well pumps or other creative ways to use it.

is the Redox batt not anything close to a DIY project? I noticed a guy building them on ebay in China so I am on a guess that it is doable. I know lead acid is within our reach but they require very careful charge/discharge rates, ambient temps, and have a very limited life. i don't mind setting up our shop for a production run of parts to build batteries if it will be worth while.

Yeah, I looked into grid tie systems for my house and was going to sell excess back, but when I read the agreement online it turns out that they have fees and such fcosting at least 75% of what I would have made otherwise, and that is during summer with the highest production amount. The other seasons I would still be paying them lol.

I can't really help you on the details of your system, as I do not know enough about them. Just crunch the numbers and see what you need compared with the size and cost of producing the required amount of batteries.

I understand the challenges you are facing in trying to find a reliable and efficient energy storage solution for your off-the-grid power needs. Redox batteries, also known as flow batteries, are a promising option for large-scale energy storage. These batteries use two liquid electrolytes that flow through a membrane, creating a chemical reaction that produces electricity. One of the advantages of redox batteries is that they can be easily scaled up to store large amounts of energy.

Another unique battery solution that you may want to consider is the lithium-sulfur battery. This type of battery has a higher energy density compared to traditional lithium-ion batteries, which means it can store more energy in a smaller space. However, it is still in the early stages of development and may not be commercially available yet.

In addition to batteries, you may also want to explore other energy storage options such as compressed air energy storage or pumped hydro storage. These systems use excess energy to compress air or pump water uphill, which can then be released to generate electricity when needed.

It is also important to consider the efficiency and sustainability of the energy storage solution you choose. For example, using recycled materials for battery production can reduce the environmental impact of your system.

I would also recommend consulting with experts in the field and considering factors such as cost, maintenance, and safety when making your decision. I wish you all the best in finding a suitable solution for your off-the-grid power needs.

1. What is redox in the context of batteries?

Redox, short for reduction-oxidation, refers to the chemical reactions that occur in batteries to produce and store energy. These reactions involve the transfer of electrons between two materials, which creates an electrical current that can be harnessed for various applications.

2. How is redox different from other battery solutions?

Redox batteries, also known as flow batteries, differ from other battery solutions in that they use two separate tanks of liquid electrolytes that flow through a cell to generate electricity. This allows for a longer lifespan and the ability to recharge the batteries by simply replacing the electrolytes.

3. What are the advantages of using redox batteries?

Redox batteries have several advantages over traditional batteries, including a longer lifespan, scalability, and the ability to recharge by replacing the electrolytes. They also have a higher energy density, meaning they can store more energy in a smaller space, and they are more environmentally friendly since they use non-toxic materials.

4. Can redox batteries be used for large-scale energy storage?

Yes, redox batteries are ideal for large-scale energy storage due to their scalability and long lifespan. They are commonly used in renewable energy systems, such as solar and wind farms, to store excess energy and provide a reliable source of electricity when there is low or no renewable energy production.

5. Are there any limitations to using redox batteries?

One limitation of redox batteries is their lower energy density compared to some other battery solutions, which means they may not be suitable for certain applications that require a high amount of energy in a small space. Additionally, the cost of redox batteries is currently higher than traditional batteries, although this is expected to decrease as the technology advances and becomes more widely adopted.