Overall redox equation for acidified KMnO4 and ammonium iron(II) sulfate

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 8K views
danago
Gold Member
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


Excess acidified potassium permanganate is added dropwise to an ammonium iron(II) sulfate solution. Write an overall redox equation for this process.

2. The attempt at a solution
Well I am not really sure what to do. I don't know what products are being formed. What should i do in a situation like this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with a balanced equation. Were you given the rules to follow for a redox reaction?
 
What is the one thing that you neeed to know about potassium permanganate?
 
How do i write a balanaced equation though? I don't know what the products are
 
Gokul43201 said:
What is the one thing that you neeed to know about potassium permanganate?

Its soluble in water?
 
Lots of things are soluble in water.

I quote from the first paragraph of the wiki on potassium permanganate:

Potassium permanganate is the chemical compound KMnO4. In this salt, manganese is in the +7 oxidation state. The salt is also known as "permanganate of potash" and "Condy's crystals". The permanganate ion is a strong oxidizing agent. It dissolves in water to give deep purple solutions, evaporation of which gives prismatic purple-black glistening crystals. It has a sweet taste and is odourless.
 
Ok, so its an oxidising agent, and therefore, itself reduced. I think this is the correct equation for its reduction:

[tex] MnO_4 ^ - _{(aq)} + 8H^ + _{(aq)} + 5e^ - \to Mn^{2 + } _{(aq)} + 4H_2 O_{(l)} [/tex]

Would i just combine that with the half equation of iron (II) being oxidised to iron (III) ions?