Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reducing Radiation Heat from Induction Furnace on Lifting Magnet

1. Nov 15, 2016 #1
    http://lookpic.com/O/i2/73/DYktKEGg.jpeg [Broken]

Hello Dear Friends

We produce Lifting Electromagnet for Steel Scrap charging of Induction furnace, bottom plate of

electromagnet is made of Stainless steel .

my question :

Can We use AL OR SILVER Spray for Spraying bottom plate that Radiation heat is reflected ?
    Is this method useful ?

OR Can We use material that absorb radiation heat ?

Our purpose : We need a way that radiation heat , reflect or absorb

by this way , amount of heat transfer by radiation to Lifting Electromagnet is decrease

and Life of Lifting Electromagnet insulation increased.

Thank You

http://lookpic.com/O/i2/943/LJEUNM4z.jpeg [Broken]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ferrous scrap melting temperature is high enough that "reflection/absorbtion" of radiant energy is "problematic;" can you sell your customers an inert gas "door/portal" through which to charge? There are such things limiting escape/exchange of "heated/cooled" air at entrances to high foot traffic buildings. The object of the exercise is to lengthen the lifetime of electrical insulation for the magnet?

4. Nov 16, 2016 #3
    Thank You Dear for your opinion , unfortunately we cant use inert gas , because for Extreme conditions of lifting magnet , welding of bottom plate was cracking .(impacts in high temperature , weight of lifting magnet approximately : 3 to 4 ton) , when crack : inert gas was exited .

For reduce convection heat transfer , We use double bottom plate(similar to Double glazed window) . minimum space between plates is 50 mm . Is it useful for decrease radiation heat ? (I guess is not useful :( )

Yes The object is to lengthen the lifetime of electrical insulation for Lifting magnet

a.jpg b.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted