Reflection Rule of a Fourier Transform

But at least now we can both appreciate the beauty of math and how simple substitutions can make complex equations more understandable.In summary, the conversation discusses the substitution u=-x in the integral G(s):= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(-x)e^{-2\pi isx}dx to simplify the equation to G(s):= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(u)e^{-2\pi i(-s)u}du = F(-s). This substitution allows for the limits of integration to be switched, making the equation easier to understand. Both speakers acknowledge feeling dumb for not realizing this substitution earlier, but also appreciate the beauty of math and learning from each other.
BustedBreaks
I feel a bit dumb, but could someone help me see this:

[tex]G(s):= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(-x)e^{-2\pi isx}dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(u)e^{-2\pi i(-s)u}du = F(-s)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
BustedBreaks said:
I feel a bit dumb, but could someone help me see this:

[tex]G(s):= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(-x)e^{-2\pi isx}dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(u)e^{-2\pi i(-s)u}du = F(-s)[/tex]

You're about to feel even dumber! (But actually be smarter.)

Let u= -x. Then [itex]-2\pi isx= -2\pi i(-s)u[/itex], f(-x) becomes f(u), of course.

As x goes to [itex]\infty[/itex], u goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex] and vice-versa so the limits of integration are switched. That's the reason the "-" in front of the first integral disappears.

I feel dumber for not realizing this, and even more dumbest for this sentance. A little smarterest though for the learning...

Thanks!

Hey, you've got a long way to go before you are as dumberized as I am!

1. What is the reflection rule of a Fourier Transform?

The reflection rule of a Fourier Transform states that the Fourier Transform of a function f(x) is equal to the complex conjugate of the Fourier Transform of the reflected function f(-x).

2. Why is the reflection rule important in Fourier Transform?

The reflection rule is important because it allows us to simplify calculations when dealing with complex functions by taking advantage of the symmetry of the Fourier Transform.

3. How is the reflection rule used in practical applications?

The reflection rule is used in practical applications such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression. It helps in simplifying calculations and improving the efficiency of these processes.

4. Can the reflection rule be applied to all types of functions?

Yes, the reflection rule can be applied to all types of functions, including real and complex-valued functions, as long as the function satisfies the conditions for the Fourier Transform.

5. Are there any exceptions to the reflection rule?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the reflection rule, such as when dealing with functions that are not integrable or do not have a finite energy. In such cases, the reflection rule may not hold true.