1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Refraction through a nonuniform medium

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A plane electromagnetic wave refracts in a nonuniform medium. The ray trajectory is known,
    [tex] y = a \left[ 1 - \left( \frac{x}{2a} \right)^2 \right] [/tex]
    where a=const.

a) Plot y(x)

b) From the slope of the curve find the angle [tex] \theta \left( y \right) [/tex] which the k-vector makes with respect to the surface normal (parallel to the y-axis)

c) Using Snell's law, find the refractive index as a function of height, [tex] n\left(y\right) [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] n_i sin \left( \theta_i \right) = n_t sin \left( \theta_t \right) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

a) simple downward facing parabola with y-intercept at a, x-intercepts at -2a and 2a

b) It hinted at what to do by stating the slope of the curve which is the derivative of the trajectory.

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx} a \left[ 1 - \left( \frac{x}{2a} \right)^2 \right] [/tex]
    [tex] = a \left[ -2 \left( \frac{x}{2a} \right) \left( \frac{1}{2a} \right) \right] = \frac{-x}{2a}[/tex]

The slope is thought of as "rise over run" so if we're looking for the angle with respect to the y-axis the triangle formed from the tangential to the trajectory and the y-axis the sides of the triangle given from the slope is adjacent and opposite.

[tex] cot \theta = \frac{-x}{2a} [/tex]
    [tex] \theta \left( y \right) = tan \frac{-x}{2a} = -tan \frac{x}{2a} [/tex]

c) This is where I'm stuck, Snell's law is given in the earlier section. I can foresee the need to go to infinitesimal levels as the index of refraction changes over the minute values of y through the trajectory but I cannot see how to begin this task.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good...

4. May 13, 2010 #3
    Ha thank you for the catch, I haven't been completely here lately.

[tex] \cot \theta = \frac{-x}{2a} [/tex]

[tex] \theta \left( \textbf{x} \right) = \cot^{-1} \left( \frac{-x}{2a} \right) [/tex]

[tex] = \cot^{-1} \left( - \frac{2a \sqrt{1-\frac{y}{a} } }{2a} \right) = - \cot^{-1} \left( \sqrt{1-y/a} \right) = \theta \left( y \right)[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook