Effective refractive index of a stratified medium

In summary: I am not sure I understand the physics of the situation well enough to figure out what the appropriate approximation should be.
AwesomeTrains
Hello PF,
I'm reading a paper for a project. In the paper they derive an equation for the effective refractive index ##n=\sqrt{\epsilon^{e} \mu^{e}}## of two stacked layers ##(n_1^2 = \epsilon_1 \mu_1, a)## and ##(n_2^2 = \epsilon_2 \mu_2, b)## where ##a,b## are the lengths and in my case ##\mu_1=\mu_2=1##. One material is silica glass the other is air.

So using Maxwell's equations they derive this equation for ##n##: $$\frac{\alpha_2}{\mu_2} \tan\left(\frac{b\alpha_2}{2}\right)=\frac{\alpha_1}{\mu_1} \tan\left(\frac{a\alpha_1}{2}\right)$$
where ##\alpha_i=k\sqrt{n_i^2-n^2}=k\sqrt{\epsilon_i-\epsilon^{e}}##.
(I have attached a picture showing the setting used for the derivation.)

But since it can not be solved analytically they do the expansion ##tan(x) \approx x + \frac{1}{3}x^3## and get this: $$ \epsilon^e = \frac{a\epsilon_1+b\epsilon_2}{a+b} + \frac{k^2b^2a^2}{12(a+b)^2}(\epsilon_1-\epsilon_2)^2$$

Homework Statement

I'm trying to retrace the steps to get the equation for ##\epsilon^{e}## to then be able to expand it to third order. ##(\tan(x) \approx x+\frac{1}{3} x^3 + \frac{2}{15}x^5)##

Homework Equations

##\epsilon^{e}_{1,2} = \frac{-a_1\pm\sqrt D}{2a_0}, D=a_1^2-4a_0a_2##

The Attempt at a Solution

When I do the second order expansion, as in the paper, I get the coefficients for the equation ##a_0x^2+a_1x+a_2=0## to be:
##a_0 = \frac{k^2 (b^3+a^3)}{12}##
##a_1 = -(b+a) - \frac{1}{12} 2k^2 (\epsilon_2 b^3+\epsilon_1 a^3)##
## a_2 = \epsilon_1 a + \epsilon_2 b + \frac{1}{12} k^2 (\epsilon_1^2 a^3 + \epsilon_2^2 b^3)##

But when I put in the values from the experiment:
## a = 92\cdot10^{-6} m , b = 58\cdot10^{-6} m, 1400 GHz, \epsilon_1 = 1 F/m, \epsilon_2 = 3.75 F/m## and solve the equation for ##\epsilon^{e}_{1,2}##.
I am not getting the same result as if I would use the equation derived in the paper. And I can't seem to figure out how to reduce the expression, I get when substituting the coefficients into ##\epsilon^{e}_{1,2} = \frac{-a_1\pm\sqrt D}{2a_0}, D=a_1^2-4a_0a_2##, to the equation given in the paper.

I have attached the paper as well in case there is something missing in my post.
To summarize: How is the equation for ## \epsilon^e ## derived? Because I seem to be getting wrong results :olduhh:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3 KB · Views: 400
  • Rytov (1956) - Electromagnetic Properties of a Finely Stratified Medium.pdf
    964.3 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
AwesomeTrains said:
Hello PF,
I'm reading a paper for a project. In the paper they derive an equation for the effective refractive index ##n=\sqrt{\epsilon^{e} \mu^{e}}## of two stacked layers ##(n_1^2 = \epsilon_1 \mu_1, a)## and ##(n_2^2 = \epsilon_2 \mu_2, b)## where ##a,b## are the lengths and in my case ##\mu_1=\mu_2=1##. One material is silica glass the other is air.

So using Maxwell's equations they derive this equation for ##n##: $$\frac{\alpha_2}{\mu_2} \tan\left(\frac{b\alpha_2}{2}\right)=\frac{\alpha_1}{\mu_1} \tan\left(\frac{a\alpha_1}{2}\right)$$
where ##\alpha_i=k\sqrt{n_i^2-n^2}=k\sqrt{\epsilon_i-\epsilon^{e}}##.
(I have attached a picture showing the setting used for the derivation.)

But since it can not be solved analytically they do the expansion ##tan(x) \approx x + \frac{1}{3}x^3## and get this: $$ \epsilon^e = \frac{a\epsilon_1+b\epsilon_2}{a+b} + \frac{k^2b^2a^2}{12(a+b)^2}(\epsilon_1-\epsilon_2)^2$$

Homework Statement

I'm trying to retrace the steps to get the equation for ##\epsilon^{e}## to then be able to expand it to third order. ##(\tan(x) \approx x+\frac{1}{3} x^3 + \frac{2}{15}x^5)##

Homework Equations

##\epsilon^{e}_{1,2} = \frac{-a_1\pm\sqrt D}{2a_0}, D=a_1^2-4a_0a_2##

The Attempt at a Solution

When I do the second order expansion, as in the paper, I get the coefficients for the equation ##a_0x^2+a_1x+a_2=0## to be:
##a_0 = \frac{k^2 (b^3+a^3)}{12}##
##a_1 = -(b+a) - \frac{1}{12} 2k^2 (\epsilon_2 b^3+\epsilon_1 a^3)##
## a_2 = \epsilon_1 a + \epsilon_2 b + \frac{1}{12} k^2 (\epsilon_1^2 a^3 + \epsilon_2^2 b^3)##
I am trying to follow your calculation but am having a hard time. What does your x stand for? You talk about Taylor expanding the tangent but the arguments on both tangent are different so I don't know what your x stands for here.

Likes AwesomeTrains
nrqed said:
I am trying to follow your calculation but am having a hard time. What does your x stand for? You talk about Taylor expanding the tangent but the arguments on both tangent are different so I don't know what your x stands for here.

Here's my derivation: (I missed the minus sign in the original post)
##
\frac{\alpha_2}{\mu_2} \tan\left(\frac{b\alpha_2}{2}\right)=-\frac{\alpha_1}{\mu_1} \tan\left(\frac{a\alpha_1}{2}\right)
##
First I expand the tangents on both sides:
##
\frac{\alpha_2}{\mu_2}\left(\frac{b\alpha_2}{2}+\frac{1}{3}\left(\frac{b\alpha_2}{2}\right)^3\right)=-\frac{\alpha_1}{\mu_1}\left(\frac{a\alpha_1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}\left(\frac{a\alpha_1}{2}\right)^3\right)
##
Using the definition of ##\alpha_i=k\sqrt{\epsilon_i-n^2}=k\sqrt{\epsilon_i-\epsilon^{e}}## from the paper and setting ##\mu_1=\mu_2=1##:
##
b(\epsilon_2 -n^2) + \frac{1}{12} k^2b^3(\epsilon_2-n^2)^2=-a(\epsilon_1-n^2)-\frac{1}{12}k^2(\epsilon_1-n^2)^2a^3
##
Since ##n^2=\epsilon^e## and after ordering the terms according to the exponent of ##\epsilon^e## I get:
##
\frac{1}{12}k^2 (b^3+a^3){\epsilon^e }^2
-(b+a + \frac{1}{12} 2k^2 (\epsilon_2 b^3+\epsilon_1 a^3) )\epsilon^e +
(\epsilon_1 a + \epsilon_2 b + \frac{1}{12} k^2 (\epsilon_1^2 a^3 + \epsilon_2^2 b^3)) = 0
##

According to the section I attached a screenshot of from the paper this should be how the derivation is done.

But when I then substitute the values given in the OP and solve for ##\epsilon^e## I am not getting the same result as if I substitute them into ##
\epsilon^e = \frac{a\epsilon_1+b\epsilon_2}{a+b} + \frac{k^2b^2a^2}{12(a+b)^2}(\epsilon_1-\epsilon_2)^2
##

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-10-08 11-24-58.png
    Screenshot from 2018-10-08 11-24-58.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 367
I don't think you should expand only the tangent. You have expressions that look like ##\alpha_i \tan\left(\frac{b\alpha_i}{2}\right)##. You should be expanding ##x\tan(cx)##. Note that this is an even function, so there are no odd order terms. It might be easier to do it this way and go up to sixth order for what you want to do.

On edit: I redid the algebra and I agree with your coefficients ##a_0,~a_1~##and ##a_2##. Now as you know these are the coefficients of a quadratic. The solution that is presented is probably an additional approximation to the exact solution of the quadratic because the quadratic does not look like a perfect square, so where is the radical? However, I am not sure I understand the physics of the situation well enough to figure out what the appropriate approximation is.

Last edited:
Likes AwesomeTrains
AwesomeTrains said:
##
\frac{1}{12}k^2 (b^3+a^3){\epsilon^e }^2
-(b+a + \frac{1}{12} 2k^2 (\epsilon_2 b^3+\epsilon_1 a^3) )\epsilon^e +
(\epsilon_1 a + \epsilon_2 b + \frac{1}{12} k^2 (\epsilon_1^2 a^3 + \epsilon_2^2 b^3)) = 0
##

##
\epsilon^e = \frac{a\epsilon_1+b\epsilon_2}{a+b} + \frac{k^2b^2a^2}{12(a+b)^2}(\epsilon_1-\epsilon_2)^2
##

These equations are approximations that hold only if ##|\alpha_1 a| \ll 1## and ##|\alpha_2 b| \ll 1##. See the comments just above equation (20) in the paper. But your data doesn't appear to meet these conditions.

Likes AwesomeTrains
I ended up solving the equation numerically which gave me a pretty good fit to the measured values. The numerical solution works until approximately 500 GHz which is where the conditions from post #5 aren't holding anymore, so that is probably the explanation and then expanding to third order would probably not improve the result.
Anyways thanks for the help :approve:

1. What is the definition of effective refractive index?

The effective refractive index of a stratified medium is a measure of the average refractive index experienced by an electromagnetic wave as it passes through multiple layers of different refractive indices. It takes into account the thickness and refractive index of each layer, and is a way to simplify the calculation of light propagation in complex media.

2. How is effective refractive index calculated?

The effective refractive index is calculated using the weighted average of the refractive indices of each layer, where the weight is determined by the thickness of each layer. This calculation can be done using the Maxwell-Garnett or Bruggeman effective medium theories, or by using numerical methods such as finite-difference time-domain simulations.

3. What are the factors that affect effective refractive index?

The effective refractive index of a stratified medium is influenced by several factors, including the refractive indices and thicknesses of each layer, the angle of incidence of the light, the polarization of the light, and the wavelength of the light. Additionally, the effective refractive index can also be affected by the presence of defects or impurities within the layers.

4. How does effective refractive index impact light propagation in a stratified medium?

The effective refractive index plays a crucial role in determining the path and speed of light propagation through a stratified medium. It affects the angle of refraction at each layer interface, and ultimately determines the overall behavior of the light as it travels through the medium. In some cases, the effective refractive index can also result in phenomena such as total internal reflection or the formation of standing waves.

5. Can effective refractive index be experimentally measured?

Yes, effective refractive index can be experimentally measured using techniques such as ellipsometry, interferometry, or spectroscopy. These methods rely on measuring the phase and amplitude of light as it interacts with the stratified medium, and can provide accurate values for the effective refractive index at different wavelengths and angles of incidence.