Refractive Index - Lens question

In summary: I think you should work on the calculation of focal length again.In summary, the index of refraction of the lens material is 1.98. There was a mistake in the calculation of the focal length, which resulted in an incorrect value for n. The correct answer was obtained using the new coordinate sign convention, where the direction of incident rays is considered positive.
jacksonwiley

Homework Statement

A double concave lens has equal radii of curvature of 15.1 cm. An object placed 14.2 cm from the lens forms a virtual image 5.0 cm from the lens. What is the index of refraction of the lens material?

A. 1.98
B. 1.9
C. 1.84
D. 2.06

Homework Equations

1/f = (n – 1 ) (1/R1 - 1/R2 )
1/f = 1/do + 1/di

The Attempt at a Solution

1/f = 1/14.2 + 1/5.0 so i get 1/f = 0.27

1/f = (n – 1 ) (1/R1 - 1/R2 )
0.27 = (n-1) (1/15.1 - (-1/15.1)

this results in an n equal to about 3.03 which is not close to any of the answers, though I'm sure i have the right equations, I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong?
are these only applicable to convex lens?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am getting n=1.98 .Is this the correct answer ?

Vibhor said:
I am getting n=1.98 .Is this the correct answer ?

i'm not sure if that is right but it is an answer choice. what method did you use?

The problem is with the calculation of focal length . You should be very careful with whatever sign convention you are using . 1/f is coming out to be -0.13 cm . I am using new coordinate sign convention where the direction of incident rays is considered positive .In this sign convention both the object as well as image distance is negative.

If the image is virtual than di is negative (according with the most common sign convention which seems to be the one used here).

Last edited:

Related to Refractive Index - Lens question

1. What is refractive index?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. It is a dimensionless quantity and is typically represented by the symbol "n".

2. How is refractive index related to lenses?

Refractive index is an important factor in determining the optical properties of lenses. It determines the amount by which light is bent when passing through a lens, which affects the focal length and magnifying power of the lens.

3. What factors affect the refractive index of a material?

The refractive index of a material is affected by its chemical composition, density, and temperature. In general, materials with a higher density and a higher concentration of atoms or molecules will have a higher refractive index.

4. How is refractive index measured?

Refractive index is typically measured using a refractometer, which measures the angle at which light bends when passing through a material. This angle is then used to calculate the refractive index of the material.

5. Why is refractive index important in the study of optics?

Refractive index is important in optics because it determines how light behaves when passing through different materials. This is essential for understanding the behavior of lenses, prisms, and other optical devices. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.