Calculate the focal distance of the duplicate

Karl Karlsson
Homework Statement:
Relevant Equations:
Lensmaker's equation
The picture below shows a so-called chromatic doublet, which is designed to minimize chromatic aberration, ie the wavelength dependence of the refractive index of the glass. The first lens has a flat first surface and a concave second surface with radius of curvature R and index of refraction n1 . The second lens is double convex with curvature radius R (refraction index n2) and sits close to the first lens. The lenses can be considered thin.

Skärmavbild 2020-03-04 kl. 21.26.05.png

My try:

IMG_0591.jpeg

I seem to be getting the wrong answer. What am i doing wrong?

Correct answer is R/(2*n2 - n1 - 1)

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 117

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What did you use for the focal length of the second lens? Note that the figure shows a clear air gap between the two lenses. This means that you should find the two focal lengths as if the lenses were surrounded by air.

On edit: You need to adopt the standard strategy for solving compound lens problems of this kind: (a) Put an object at some finite distance ##s## in front of the combination; (b) find the position of the image ##s'##; (c) Treat the image as the object for the second lens (pay close attention to what is real and what is virtual); (d) find the position of the final image ##s''##; (e) let ##s## go to infinity and see what ##s''## becomes; (f) relate ##s''## to the focal length of the combination.

I tried this method for this problem and got the answer you quoted as correct.

Last edited:
BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Why does ##n_1## appear in the formula for lens 2 while ##n_2## does not appear in the formula for lens 1 ?

Does close together mean zero in between ?

Karl Karlsson
What did you use for the focal length of the second lens? Note that the figure shows a clear air gap between the two lenses. This means that you should find the two focal lengths as if the lenses were surrounded by air.

On edit: You need to adopt the standard strategy for solving compound lens problems of this kind: (a) Put an object at some finite distance ##s## in front of the combination; (b) find the position of the image ##s'##; (c) Treat the image as the object for the second lens (pay close attention to what is real and what is virtual); (d) find the position of the final image ##s''##; (e) let ##s## go to infinity and see what ##s''## becomes; (f) relate ##s''## to the focal length of the combination.

I tried this method for this problem and got the answer you quoted as correct.
My bad I can see my mistake as you pointed out now. I didn't think of the air gap between the lenses. Thanks!

Suggested for: Calculate the focal distance of the duplicate

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies