1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refractive index question - light beam around the world

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    1. The refractive index of the Earth’s atmosphere is
    n = 1.01 + α(R − r),
    where α is a constant, r is the radial distance from the Earth’s centre and
    R = 6.4 × 10^6 m is the Earth’s radius. By considering a path comprising a series of
    total internal reflections or otherwise, find a value of α for which a light ray emitted
    horizontally close to the Earth’s surface would go around the Earth. (The effects of
    absorption may be ignored and the Earth may be taken to be a perfect sphere of radius
    R.)

2. Relevant equations
    n1sin(x1)=n2sin(x2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really have no idea what to do as I understand the refractive index is constantly changing?
    Don't know where to start, any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think of a wavefront launched horizontally. Realize that the top of this wavefront will move faster than the bottom, since n is lower at higher altitudes ... yet the wavefront phasing across its front has to be the same for all heights - whar does that requirement impose on grad(n)?

4. Jan 4, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much for your reply, are you suggesting the light curves around the world? I considered this but thought that only really happened at black holes, or have I misunderstood your response?

5. Jan 4, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I never heard of the herm 'light curves around the world' per se but that is what I had in mind. And I know next to zilch about black holes.

Can you go from there?

BTW the problem did not state that it was possible, it just asked what the n gradient had to be were it possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook