Refridgerator Problem: Where Did I Screw Up?

• Thread starter EstimatedEyes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screw
In summary: W = Q_c/COP = [m(c\Delta T + L_f)]/COPTime = W/P = [m(c\Delta T + L_f)/(COP*power)We can simplify the expression for time by substituting the given values:Time = [(1.45)(4186)(19.4) + (1.45)(33.5e4)]/(2.58*2.9e3) = 745sIn summary, the problem involves finding the amount of time a 2.90 kW space heater would need to run to produce the same amount of heat as a refrigerator with a coefficient of performance of 2
EstimatedEyes

Homework Statement

How long would a 2.90 kW space heater have to run to put into a kitchen the same amount of heat as a refrigerator (coefficient of performance = 2.58) does when it freezes 1.45 kg of water at 19.4°C into ice at 0°C?

Homework Equations

COP=Q_c/W
Q_h=Q_c + W
Q=cm(deltaT)
Q=mL_f
P=E/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I get something around 745s each time I do it, but that is wrong. The way I have been doing it is to find out the amount of energy it takes to change the water to ice which would be the work done by the refrigerator. Therefore Qc for the fridge would be coefficient of performance times work. Add Qc to work to get the amount of heat that exits the fridge and then divide by the number of watts used by the space heater to get the amount of time it would need to be run. Where did I go wrong in this reasoning? Thank you.

COP=Q_c/W therefore Q_c=COP*W
Q_total=mc(deltaT) + mL_f
Q_h=Q_c+W
Q_h=(COP+1)*(mc(deltaT) + mL_f)
Q_h/T=Power
[(COP+1)*(mc(deltaT) + mL_f)]/Power=T
[(2.58+1)*((1.45)(4186)(19.4) + (1.45)(33.5e4))]/2.9e3=745s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EstimatedEyes said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I get something around 745s each time I do it, but that is wrong. The way I have been doing it is to find out the amount of energy it takes to change the water to ice which would be the work done by the refrigerator. Therefore Qc for the fridge would be coefficient of performance times work. Add Qc to work to get the amount of heat that exits the fridge and then divide by the number of watts used by the space heater to get the amount of time it would need to be run. Where did I go wrong in this reasoning? Thank you.

COP=Q_c/W therefore Q_c=COP*W
Q_total=mc(deltaT) + mL_f
Q_h=Q_c+W
Q_h=(COP+1)*(mc(deltaT) + mL_f)
Q_h/T=Power
[(COP+1)*(mc(deltaT) + mL_f)]/Power=T
[(2.58+1)*((1.45)(4186)(19.4) + (1.45)(33.5e4))]/2.9e3=745s
You have to divide your expression for Qh by COP:

The total heat delivered by the refrigerator is Qh = Qc + W = W(COP+1)

W = Qc/COP. That is what you have to work out by substituting:

[tex]Q_c = m(c\Delta T + L_f)[/tex]

AM

Dear student,

First of all, it is important to note that the equation COP=Q_c/W is only valid for a heat pump, not for a refrigerator. A refrigerator is a type of heat pump, but it is specifically designed to remove heat from a space (e.g. a kitchen) rather than transfer heat from a lower temperature source to a higher temperature sink.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation Q_h=Q_c+W, where Q_h is the amount of heat removed from the kitchen by the refrigerator, Q_c is the amount of heat rejected by the refrigerator, and W is the work done by the refrigerator. We know that Q_c=mL_f, where m is the mass of water frozen and L_f is the latent heat of fusion for water. Therefore, Q_h=mL_f+W.

Next, we can use the equation Q=mC(deltaT) to calculate the amount of heat required to freeze the water. We know that the initial temperature of the water is 19.4°C and the final temperature is 0°C, so deltaT=19.4°C. We also know that the mass of water frozen is 1.45 kg. Plugging these values into the equation, we get Q=mC(deltaT)=(1.45 kg)(4186 J/kg°C)(19.4°C)=120,280 J.

Now, we can set Q_h=Q and solve for W, the work done by the refrigerator. This gives us W=Q_h-Q=mL_f-W. Plugging in the values we know, we get W=(1.45 kg)(33.5e4 J/kg)+(120,280 J)=487,420 J.

Finally, we can use the equation P=E/t to calculate the time (t) it would take for a 2.90 kW space heater to do the same amount of work (E) as the refrigerator. Rearranging the equation, we get t=E/P=487,420 J/2.90 kW=168.07 seconds.

In conclusion, a 2.90 kW space heater would have to run for approximately 168 seconds to put into a kitchen the same amount of heat as a refrigerator does when it freezes 1.45 kg of water at 19.4°C into ice at 0°C. The error in your reasoning was using the equation COP=Q_c/W, which is not applicable for a refrigerator. It

1. What are the most common causes of refrigerator problems?

The most common causes of refrigerator problems include clogged condenser coils, faulty thermostat, malfunctioning defrost timer, and broken door seals.

2. How can I troubleshoot my refrigerator problem?

You can troubleshoot your refrigerator problem by checking the condenser coils for dust and debris, testing the thermostat, manually defrosting the appliance, and inspecting the door seals for any tears or gaps.

3. Why is my refrigerator not cooling properly?

There are several possible reasons why your refrigerator may not be cooling properly, such as a malfunctioning compressor, low refrigerant levels, or a defective evaporator fan. It is best to consult a professional technician for an accurate diagnosis.

4. How often should I clean my refrigerator?

You should clean your refrigerator at least once every three months to prevent any buildup of dirt and debris on the condenser coils and to ensure the appliance is running efficiently.

5. When should I replace my refrigerator?

The average lifespan of a refrigerator is about 14-17 years. However, if your appliance is constantly experiencing problems and repairs are becoming too costly, it may be time to consider replacing it with a newer model.