1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding double well potential

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    A particle is in the following double-well potential with E<0:
    V(x)=0 for x<-a, x>a; -V0 for -a<x<-b, b<x<a; 0 for -b<x<b
    I am asked to show that the eigenvalues conditions may be written in the form:
    tan(q(a-b))=qα(1+tanh(αb)/(q22tanh(αb))$$
    and
    tan(q(a-b))=qα(1+coth(αb)/(q22coth(αb))$$
    for the even and odd solutions, where -E=ħ2α2/2m and E+V02q2/2m.

I first tried to define the wave function in the various regions, focusing on the positive x axis only and demanding odd solutions:
    Ψ(x)=Ae-αx for x>a; Bsin(q(x-b)) for b<x<a; Ce-αx + Deαx for 0<x<b

Is that correct thus far?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Looks good so far.

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3
    Alright, but as I impose continuity of wave function and its derivatives I obtain the four following equations, from which I am unable to derive the desired expression:
    (1) Ae-αa = Bsin(q(a-b))
    (2) -αAe-αa = Bqcos(q(a-b))
    (3) 0 = Ce-αb + Deαb
    (4) Bq = -αCe-αb + Dαeαb

What am I doing wrong?

5. Dec 14, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

You could explain what you did. Where does equation 3 come from?
    Where is the odd/even condition?

6. Dec 14, 2014 #5
    Well, equation 3 stems from the demand for continuity at x=b. I have decided to focus on the odd solutions first, hence the use of sine. Is that wrong?

7. Dec 14, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Ah, I see the issue.
    The way you defined the wave function in the well, you get a mixture of odd and even functions (the sine would have some non-zero value at x=0). If you want odd functions, you need something like sin(qx).

8. Dec 14, 2014 #7
    So which function ought I to choose for Ψ(x) in the well? Ought it to be a combination of sine and cosine at once (like harmonic oscillator)?

9. Dec 14, 2014 #8
    In other words, should I then simply choose sin(qx) for the odd and cos(qx) for the even, within the well?

10. Dec 14, 2014 #9

mfb

2016 Award

You can do that, if you choose them without that offset it is easier to split them into odd and even contributions.
    That is the easierst approach I think.

11. Dec 15, 2014 #10
    Yet please note the expressions I am expected to arrive at. It seems I am indeed expected to use forms as sin(q(x-b)). Wouldn't you agree?

12. Dec 15, 2014 #11

mfb

2016 Award

I don't see how you get that impression. Yes there is an q(a-b), but that can appear in other ways, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted