Regarding Einstein Summation Convention

In summary, the Einstein Summation Convention states that any repeated set of indices in a monomial indicates a sum over those indices. However, if an index is repeated more than twice, it is incorrect according to the convention. In the given example, the repeated index j should be replaced with a different index to follow the convention.
clayton26
So, I realize the basic theory behind Einstein Summation Convention is that any repeated set of indices implicitly indicates a sum over those indices. However, what if an index is repeated three times?

For example, my mathematics professor posted this problem:

εijkajaj = ?

As you can see, j is repeated thrice. So how do I approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's nothing to approach, it's incorrect. In a monomial (product of indexed objects) an index can appear no more than 2 times.

clayton26 said:
So, I realize the basic theory behind Einstein Summation Convention is that any repeated set of indices implicitly indicates a sum over those indices. However, what if an index is repeated three times?

For example, my mathematics professor posted this problem:

εijkajaj = ?

As you can see, j is repeated thrice. So how do I approach this?

It looks like a simple error. ajaj should be aiaj

1. What is the Einstein summation convention?

The Einstein summation convention is a mathematical notation developed by Albert Einstein, which simplifies the writing and manipulation of equations involving tensors. It is used to express summation over repeated indices in an equation, where each index represents a certain dimension or direction.

2. Why is the Einstein summation convention used?

The Einstein summation convention is used to simplify and condense mathematical equations, making them easier to write and understand. It also helps to reduce the number of terms in an equation, making it more concise and efficient.

3. How does the Einstein summation convention work?

The Einstein summation convention works by assuming that whenever an index appears twice in a single term of an equation, it implies a summation over all possible values of that index. This eliminates the need for the summation symbol and allows for a more compact notation.

4. What are the benefits of using the Einstein summation convention?

The main benefit of using the Einstein summation convention is that it simplifies and streamlines the writing of equations involving tensors. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of equations, making it a valuable tool in various fields of science and mathematics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Einstein summation convention?

While the Einstein summation convention is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for equations involving summation over repeated indices, and it cannot be applied to all types of tensors. Additionally, it may be confusing for those who are not familiar with the convention or have difficulty visualizing equations without the summation symbol.