Regarding epsilon proofs with N1,N2,Max,Min

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that utilizes a common notion and presents a question about using one N instead of two in the proof. The professor explains that while it is possible, it is less rigorous and not usually preferred. The conversation also addresses the use of "blah blah blah" and emphasizes the importance of being precise in mathematical writing.
Unassuming
This is a famous proof that utilizes a common notion.

Theorem. Limits are unique.

let n>N_1 such that blah blah blah is less than epsilon over 2,

let n>N_2 such that blah blah blah is less than epsilon over 2.

For n> max{N_1,N_2},

blah blah blah < blah = epsilon.

-------------------
Somebody presented a question today to my professor of why we can't say in the first place,

let n > N such that blah blah blah is less than epsilon over 2, AND!

also that blah blah blah is less than epsilon over 2.

Then we skip the max stuff and finish up.

----------------
My professor said this was "ok" and we proceeded. My question is, is this "ok"? and why is it not presented in book then?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I need to be more rigorous here. I will clean it up later today when I get to school hopefully. Sorry.

As long as blah-blahiness represents, for you, the summit of precision, don't bother.

Well, the problem with my writing was that I was trying to generalize the question to many of these types of proofs. I actually thought at the time that it was a good idea and if I would have read something similar, I think I might have understood what the amateur analyst (me) was trying to convey. Many people in my class were wondering the same thing.

My point is that I have seen many proofs involving two N's (N_1 and N_2), and sometimes more. Then we take the max ( or in some cases the min ) of all these N's. Why can't we, like the student asked, take one N from the beginning as long as we state the requirements of that N.

When I taught high school the students asked some very silly (i.e. blah blah blah) questions. I felt that I could understand what they were getting at though because I tried to understand (after I got off my high horse).

Unassuming said:
My point is that I have seen many proofs involving two N's (N_1 and N_2), and sometimes more. Then we take the max ( or in some cases the min ) of all these N's. Why can't we, like the student asked, take one N from the beginning as long as we state the requirements of that N.

Hi Unassuming! :smile:

You can do it that way, but it's less rigorous …

if you start from the definition of limit, you will get two Ns, not one …

professors and books usually prefer proofs that are 100% rigorous. :wink:

You can, as your professor agreed, say "There exist N such that if n> N,... both are true".

But that doesnt' follow immediately from what you were given. From one limit you know "there exist N1 such that if n> N1...". From the other, "there exist N2 such that if n> N2...". You can THEN say "let N= larger of N1 and N2" so that n> N implies both n> N1 and n> N2.

By the way, try to avoid "BLAH,BLAH,BLAH". That implies something not worth listening to and if you really feel that way, you shouldn't be taking the course! Better to use "...": simpler and less confrontational.

Ok. So it doesn't directly follow from the definition. I figured it was something, but I like writing the max{N_1,N_2} part anyway. It feels empowering.

Sorry about the blah. I like analysis and I didn't mean to sound uninterested!

Thanks for the answers.

1. What is an epsilon proof?

An epsilon proof is a type of mathematical proof that uses the concept of epsilon, which represents a small, arbitrarily chosen number, to demonstrate the truth of a statement or theorem. It involves showing that for any epsilon value, there exists a corresponding N value such that the statement is true for all values greater than N.

2. How are N1, N2, Max, and Min used in an epsilon proof?

N1 and N2 are typically used to represent two different values in a sequence or series, while Max and Min refer to the maximum and minimum values in that sequence or series. In an epsilon proof, these values are used to demonstrate that the statement holds true for all values greater than a certain N value.

3. What is the purpose of using epsilon in a proof?

The use of epsilon allows for a more general and flexible proof, as it does not rely on specific numbers or values. Instead, it shows that the statement holds true for any arbitrarily small value, making the proof more universally applicable.

4. Are epsilon proofs commonly used in scientific research?

Yes, epsilon proofs are commonly used in mathematics and other scientific fields to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem. They are particularly useful in proving convergence and limit theorems in calculus and analysis.

5. Can epsilon proofs be used to prove the existence or non-existence of a solution?

Yes, epsilon proofs can be used to prove the existence or non-existence of a solution to a mathematical problem. By showing that a certain value exists or does not exist for any arbitrarily small epsilon value, the proof demonstrates the existence or non-existence of a solution for that problem.