1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding Physics and Engineering

1. Jun 16, 2013 #1
    Hi

I'm from Singapore and I'm currently in the state of deciding what to study for my undergrad and postgrad education. I know from my days in high school that I love Physics and Mathematics. I have a natural drive for it and I enjoy solving the abstract problems that make up the subjects. But having worked in my country's army for almost 2 years, I've also become a rather practical person and realized that practicality is necessary to solve most of the world's problems.

My love for abstract thought attracts me to Physics and Mathematics. But ultimately I know I want to benefit the world by doing something large-scale and practical- something that would come out of an engineer. I was considering Chemical Engineering because I feel I can do something about how we manage waste and other unwanted materials- which would be a concern of a chemical engineer in a sense.

One option I'm considering is doing a Bachelor's in Physics in Germany and then a Master's in Chemical Engineering, possibly in Germany too. The good thing about this option is the university where I want to study- the University of Leipzig- offers a physics program in English so I wouldn't have to spend unnecessary time learning German. Also I would get to understand a broad range of physics before specializing in a certain field. The only problem with this is that I'm not sure whether a bachelor's in physics would be sufficient to apply for a master's in CE.

The other option is to go for bachelor's in CE and then a master's in CE. The problem with this is there is no bachelor's course in CE in English language in Germany. To overcome this I'll have to take a gap year just to learn sufficient German. This would delay my already late education.

I hope you guys can offer some input on this. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There are areas of study where you really don't have to choose (other than a formal declaration on which one you want to go into for formality sake) between doing physics/math and engineering. I've already described one area, accelerator physics.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410271

Another area that has a huge overlap between physics and engineering is detector physics.

Both of these fields have relatively larger potential for employment, since such a graduate has skills that are useful in industries as well, not just academia or pure research.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook