1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regression - AIC/SBC Comparison

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but it was on the comparison between different model's AIC/SBC values.

I ran a linear regression and got an AIC/SBC of .743/.768. When I ran the same regression in log-linear form I ended up with an AIC/SBC of -7.559/-7.534.

My textbook suggests that the smaller the value, the better the model, but it only compares positive values which seem to tend towards zero.

My question is this: should I be comparing the absolute values of these (so that the closet to zero is the best) or should I be looking at a strictly greater than scheme in which the more negative, the smaller, and therefore the better?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2
    Never mind. I figured out I could estimate the log-linear model in levels which would allow me a comparison that fits with the generic linear regression. I couldn't figure out how to delete the post. Thanks anyways!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook