Regulatory bodies for manned submersibles in Canada

  • Thread starter Thread starter ENGBIO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    bodies Canada
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
ENGBIO
Messages
19
Reaction score
1
Hey guys, new member here! I am an undergrad engineering student and I am currently working on a project for a course that requires designing a ballast system for a manned submersible and I was wondering...

Are there regulatory bodies in Canada that you know of that is responsible for regulations regarding the use of manned submersibles?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you plan on using it in public waters. you will need to register it as a boat. ( http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/oep-vesselreg-registration-menu-2311.htm )
Obviously, it will not meet all of the requirements of a boat.
If there is a harbor master where you will operate, you should contact him right away.
Otherwise, I would contact the Canadian Coast Guard ( http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/eng/CCG/Home )

If you operate in a shipping lane or other congested area, you will need to submit a report ( https://msix.nga.mil/submitReport.php ) so that a NAVAREA warning can be issued.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman