Related Rates: Derivatives and Distance in the XY-Plane

  • Thread starter Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Related rates
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
kuahji
Messages
390
Reaction score
2
Let x & y be differentiable functions of t and let s = sqrt(x^2+y^2) be the distance between the points (x,0) and (0,y) in the xy-plane.

How is ds/dt related to dx/dt if y is constant?

So I attempted to implicitly take the derivatives of the changing rates.

ds/dt= 1/(2sqrt(x^2+y^2)) times 2x dx/dt + 2y

Which simplifies to

ds/dt= x/(sqrt(x^2+y^2)) dx/dt + y/(sqrt(x^2+y^2))

I'm guessing there is something I'm not understanding because he book shows an answer of ds/dt= x/(sqrt(x^2+y^2)) dx/dt

So what y does the y disappear? Or what am I doing incorrectly?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ummm. "if y is constant" says the problem. On such a path, dy/dt=0.