1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates: Man and Spotlight

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2m tall person walks toward toward a wall at 1.6 m/s. A spotlight 12 m away from the wall shines at it. How fast is the length of his shadow on the wall decreasing when he is 4m away from the wall?

I tried a few different things with trig, none of which worked.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

like what?

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3
    Well, actually I couldn't figure out how to setup the equation to begin with.

5. Nov 5, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok so start by drawing a picture, and try and relate the distnace of the man from the light or wall to the height of the shadow - think similar triangles

6. Nov 5, 2009 #5
    Yeah, that's where I run into problems.

7. Nov 5, 2009 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

ok so what do you need a hand with?

8. Nov 5, 2009 #7
    How can I go about setting up the problem? How can I go about finding an equation to solve? I understand how to solve these problems, but not how to go about setting up their equations.

9. Nov 5, 2009 #8
    Think about the spot light creating a triangle and then insert the man to create a second smaller triangle. Using the numbers you have in the question, you can get your equation from that by setting the two similar triangles equal to each other - I can't remember the exact name for that, sorry. Ex. base/height of triangle one = base/height of triangle two then cross multiply and solve for your unknown that may or may not start with an s.

10. Nov 7, 2009 #9
    I managed to get it. Sorry it took so long to get back. Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook