Related Rates: Man 6 ft, Light 15ft, Shadow Length

In summary, A man 6 ft tall walks at a rate of 5ft/s away from a light that is 15ft above the ground. When he is 10 ft from the base of the light, the tip of his shadow is moving at a rate of -50/7 ft/s and the length of his shadow is changing at a rate of -15/7 ft/s. The solution involves using similar triangles and establishing variables, and using implicit differentiation.
Younglearner

Homework Statement

A man 6 ft tall wlaks at a rate of 5ft/s away from a light that is 15ft above the ground. when he is 10 ft from the base of the light,

1) at what rate is the tip of his shadow moving?
2) at what rate is the length of his shadow changing?

The answers are
1) -50/7 ft/s
2)-15/7 ft/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that similar triangles come into play, and I believe that I need to establish two varibles and use implicit differentation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, similar triangles comes into play. the length from the pole to the man is x, while the length from the pole to the man's show is x+y.

Related to Related Rates: Man 6 ft, Light 15ft, Shadow Length

1. What is the relationship between the man's height and the length of his shadow?

The length of an object's shadow is directly proportional to its height. This means that as the man's height increases, the length of his shadow will also increase.

2. How can I calculate the rate at which the man's shadow is changing?

To calculate the rate at which the man's shadow is changing, you can use the formula: rate of change of shadow length = (rate of change of man's height x length of light) / man's height. This formula is based on the concept of similar triangles.

3. What is the significance of the light's height in the related rates problem?

The height of the light is important because it determines the angle at which the light hits the man and creates his shadow. This angle is necessary for calculating the rate of change of the shadow length.

4. How can I use related rates to solve a problem involving a man's height and shadow length?

To solve a related rates problem involving a man's height and shadow length, you will need to identify the given values, the variables to be solved for, and the relationship between them. Then, you can set up a proportion or use the related rates formula to find the solution.

5. Can related rates be applied to other real-life scenarios besides a man's height and shadow length?

Yes, related rates can be applied to a variety of real-life scenarios, such as the growth of a plant, the filling of a container, or the changing dimensions of a moving object. As long as there is a changing rate between two related quantities, the concept of related rates can be used to solve the problem.