Find Shadow Length Decrease Rate for Spotlight 12m Away

In summary, the man's shadow on the building is decreasing at a rate of 0.6 m/s when he is 4 m away from the building. This can be found by using similar triangles and the equation xy=24, differentiating it with respect to time, and solving for dy/dt.
Unknown9

Homework Statement

A spotlight on the ground shines on a wall 12 m away. If a man 2m tall walks from the spotlight toward the building at a speed of 1.6m/s, how fast is the length of his shadow on the building decreasing when he is 4m from the building?

Homework Equations

x2 + y2 = z2

The Attempt at a Solution

So the x and y values are decreasing, the x at 1.6m/s which is dx/dt with respect to time. We want to find out what dy/dt is which is how fast the shadow is decreasing.

so using x2 + y2 = z2

plug in 12m for x

144 + y2 = z2

implicit differentiate that equation and I get

2y*(dy/dt) = 2z*(dz/dt)

solve for (dy/dt)

(dy/dt) = (2z*(dz/dt))/2y

now I believe we plug in 2m for y at that point which would be

(dy/dt) = (2z*(dz/dt))/4

this is where I start to get lost. I don't know what to plug in for z, or dz/dt to get dy/dt

Physics news on Phys.org
rather than jumping into pythagoras, i would start by thinking about similar triangles and what you know in each

lanedance said:
rather than jumping into pythagoras, i would start by thinking about similar triangles and what you know in each

quick question about the question, I copied the exact question, the question isn't saying that the shadow at the beginning is 12 m high right? It's saying that the distance between the light and the building is 12 m apart?

yeah teh wya i read it anyway, so to get what i was saying:

draw the light man & wall, then draw a line form the light through the top of the man, then look at where it hits the wall, this will be the top of the shadow... now think about those similar triangles

lanedance said:
yeah teh wya i read it anyway, so to get what i was saying:

draw the light man & wall, then draw a line form the light through the top of the man, then look at where it hits the wall, this will be the top of the shadow... now think about those similar triangles

Okay, so I drew the picture and I got the height of the shadow where the man is 4 m away to be 3m. with 2/8 = y/12

Okay, I was looking at it again and here's what I've come up with.So y/2 = 12/(12-x)

I solved for y

y = 24/(12-x)

Then I differentiated it

dy/dt = -24(12-x)-2 * -1(dx/dt)

simplified

dy/dt = (24*(dx/dt))/(12-x)2

then plug in dx/dt which is 1.6
and plug in x which is 4

dy/dt = 38.4/64 m/s

This seems like a mistake for some reason?

Last edited:
how come?

note that dx/dt is negative, so will be dy/dt

trying to learn related rates as well, this is what i got tell me if i am wrong here...

draw triangle ABC with A being the light, B being the base of building, and C being top of shaddow/building.

the second triangle is formend with the man and the light, using ADE, D being the mans feet and E being his head at 2 m height.

using the 2 meter horizontal from the mans height we have two relative triangles.

call the range from the light (line AD) x and call the building/shaddow (line BC) y

using the two triangles we can infer that 2/x=y/12 or xy=24

if we then differentiate relative to time 0=dx/dt * y + dy/dt * x

we then plug in 1.6 for dx/dt and 8 for x(range from the light not the building); and y=3 (using xy=24 @ x=8) and solve for dy/dt= -.6m/s which should be negative.

Is this correct?

that looks ok to me as well, note its the same numerical answer, just formulated differently

lanedance said:
how come?

note that dx/dt is negative, so will be dy/dt

That wouldn't change my answer would it?

well the way you defined y, it make the rate of change negative, but the magnitude is correct...

so your number should be negative, ie the shadow is shrinking in size as the man nears the wall

So I tried doing the problem from scratch again, and this time I received a different answer :P.

y/2 = 12/(12-x)

Differentiated it right away

12(dy/dt) - x(dy/dt) + y(dx/dt) = 0
12(dy/dt) - x(dy/dt) = -y(dx/dt)
dy/dt = -y(dx/dt)/12-x
Then I received 4.8/8 as the rate of change.

Haha, nevermind, I just divided both of the numbers and got .6, so they're both the same answer.

1. How do I determine the shadow length decrease rate for a spotlight 12m away?

The shadow length decrease rate can be determined by measuring the distance between the spotlight and the object causing the shadow (in this case, 12m). Then, measure the length of the shadow at different time intervals and record the change in length. The decrease rate can be calculated by dividing the change in shadow length by the time interval.

2. What factors can affect the shadow length decrease rate?

The shadow length decrease rate can be affected by the angle of the spotlight, the height of the object causing the shadow, the intensity of the light source, and any obstructions that may block the light.

3. Can the shadow length decrease rate be different for different objects?

Yes, the shadow length decrease rate can vary for different objects depending on their size, shape, and position in relation to the spotlight.

4. How is the shadow length decrease rate related to the distance between the spotlight and the object?

The shadow length decrease rate is inversely proportional to the distance between the spotlight and the object. This means that as the distance increases, the shadow length decrease rate decreases.

5. Why is it important to find the shadow length decrease rate for a spotlight?

Knowing the shadow length decrease rate for a spotlight can help in determining the speed of the object causing the shadow. It can also be used in various scientific and engineering applications, such as designing solar panels or determining the size and location of objects in space.