Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relating inverse metric to densitized triads

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    Reading through an introductory Loop Quantum Gravity paper, I am given an induced Riemannian (space) metric:

\begin{equation}
    q_{AB} = e^a_A e^b_B \delta_{ab}
    \end{equation}

where $A = 1,2,3$ are covariant indices and $a = 1,2,3$ are internal indices of the triads $e^a_A$. The densitized triad is defined to be:

\begin{equation}
    E^A_a := \frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{ABC}_{abc} e^b_B e^c_C.
    \end{equation}

How do I determine the inverse metric $q^{AB}$ in terms of $E^A_a$? Must I guess the form and require that:

\begin{equation}
    q^{AB}q_{BC} = \delta^A_C \ \ ?
    \end{equation}

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    Sorry about messing up the teX. Here it is again:

Reading through an introductory Loop Quantum Gravity paper, I am given an induced Riemannian (space) metric:

[tex]
    q_{AB} = e^a_A e^b_B \delta_{ab}
    [/tex]

where [tex]A = 1,2,3[/tex] are covariant indices and [tex]a = 1,2,3[/tex] are internal indices of the triads [tex]e^a_A[/tex]. The densitized triad is defined to be:

[tex]
    E^A_a := \frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{ABC}_{abc} e^b_B e^c_C.
    [/tex]

How do I determine the inverse metric [tex]q^{AB}[/tex] in terms of [tex]E^A_a[/tex]? Must I guess the form and require that:

[tex]
    q^{AB}q_{BC} = \delta^A_C \ \ ?
    [/tex]

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    I figured it out, so I should post the solution. It becomes simple once you show that:

[tex]
    E^A_a = \sqrt{det(q)}e^A_a
    [/tex]

where [tex]e^A_a[/tex] is the inverse of [tex]e^a_A[/tex]. Then clearly we have:

[tex]
    E^A_aE^B_b \delta^{ab} = det(q) q^{AB}
    [/tex]

using the definition given in the original post for [tex]q_{AB}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook