Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between det(spacetime metric) and det(spatial metric)

Tags:
  1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    I have a metric g on spacetime and a spatial metric ##\gamma## such that the components of g can be written in matrix form as

$$ g_ {\alpha, \beta} = \begin{pmatrix} g_{00} & g_{0 j} \\
    g_{i 0} & \gamma_{ij} \end{pmatrix} $$

where ##i,j = 1,2,3## and ##\alpha = 0,1,2,3##. Now I want to find a relation between the determinant of ##g## and the determinant of ##\gamma## expressed in terms of the components of ##g##. Using Cramer's rule I get

$$ det(g_{\alpha, \beta}) \equiv g = \frac{C_{00}}{g^{00}}$$

where ##C_{00}## is the cofactor of the (0,0)-element of the matrix above; i.e. it is ##det(\gamma_{ij}) = \gamma##. But in order to find the full relation I will still need to find the (0,0) element of the inverse. What is the best way to go about doing this? Do I really have to solve the full set of equations ##g^{\alpha \lambda}g_{\lambda \beta} = \delta^{\alpha}_{\ \ \ \beta}##? Or is there a better way?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2
    I'm assuming you mean ##\displaystyle \mathrm{g}_{\alpha,\beta}=\begin{bmatrix} g_{0,0} & g_{0,1} & g_{0,2} & g_{0,3} \\ g_{1,0} & \gamma_{1,1} & \gamma_{1,2} & \gamma_{1,3} \\ g_{2,0} & \gamma_{2,1} & \gamma_{2,2} & \gamma_{2,3} \\ g_{3,0} & \gamma_{3,1} & \gamma_{3,2} & \gamma_{3,3}\end{bmatrix}##, right?

I'm probably misinterpreting something here, but I'm not seeing how you're applying Cramer's Rule.

If we were talking about finding the determinant of the given matrix, you'd get $$\det(\mathrm{g}_{\alpha,\beta})=g_{0,0}~\det\begin{bmatrix}\gamma_{1,1} & \gamma_{1,2} & \gamma_{1,3} \\ \gamma_{2,1} & \gamma_{2,2} & \gamma_{2,3} \\ \gamma_{3,1} & \gamma_{3,2} & \gamma_{3,3}\end{bmatrix}-g_{1,0}~\det\begin{bmatrix} g_{0,1} & g_{0,2} & g_{0,3} \\ \gamma_{2,1} & \gamma_{2,2} & \gamma_{2,3} \\ \gamma_{3,1} & \gamma_{3,2} & \gamma_{3,3}\end{bmatrix}+g_{2,0}~\det\begin{bmatrix} g_{0,1} & g_{0,2} & g_{0,3} \\ \gamma_{1,1} & \gamma_{1,2} & \gamma_{1,3} \\ \gamma_{3,1} & \gamma_{3,2} & \gamma_{3,3}\end{bmatrix}-g_{3,0}~\det\begin{bmatrix}g_{0,1} & g_{0,2} & g_{0,3} \\ \gamma_{1,1} & \gamma_{1,2} & \gamma_{1,3} \\ \gamma_{2,1} & \gamma_{2,2} & \gamma_{2,3}\end{bmatrix}$$ by Laplace Expansion.

Given, I'm not really knowledgeable in general relativity (or differential geometry for that matter :tongue:) so I could be mistaking this determinant for something else, or misunderstanding your notation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook