Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relating Newton's universal law of gravitation with Kepler's 3rd law

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to rewrite Newton's law - GMP2 = 4(pi)2r3 as P2 = a3 under these conditions: that the mass M is the sun's mass, the radius is 1 AU, and G being converted to the appropriate units.

I get stuck on this problem, and I'm hoping you guys are willing to help me out.

To begin with, to make things easier, I set this problem up as a ratio:
    P2/a3 = 1 and P2/r3 = 4(pi)2/GM

and then I compare the two. In an elliptical orbit, the radius r can be equaled to a, so I get:

P2/r3 = P2/a3 = 4(pi)2/GM.

Does this look right to you guys so far? I was told that if I did it correctly, my answer should come out to 1, but I'm not getting that once I work things out. I thought that I wouldn't have to worry about the units of G in this setup, but maybe I'm wrong? I'm not sure.

To clarify, I'm using 1.98 x 1030kg for M and 6.67 x 10-11 m3/kgs2 for G.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you mean that in a circular orbit, the semi-major axis, 'a' is equal to the radius, 'r'.

1. Of *course* you have to worry about the units for G. It's not a dimensionless quantity, it has units.

2. The whole thing with Kepler's 3rd Law is that it can be expressed as P2 = a3 if and only if you express 'a' in AU and 'P' in years. The reason is because, using those units, the constant of proportionality between P and a, namely 4(pi)2/GM, is equal to 1. But if you don't use those units, and you use SI units instead, then this constant will not be equal to 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook