Relation between Catalan numbers

In summary, the conversation is about proving a relation between Catalan numbers using generating functions. The relation is shown to be true by equating the generating function of the constant sequence to the generating function of the sum given in the relation. It is then proven using induction and the generating function of Catalan numbers. The final result is verified to be correct for -1≤x≤1.
Pere Callahan
Hello all,

I am studying some problems in Free Probability and need to prove a relation between the Catalan numbers

[tex]C_n = \frac{1}{n+1}\left(\stackrel{2n}{n}\right)[/tex]

The relation reads:

[tex]1 = \sum_{l=1}^{k}{(-1)^{l-1}C_{l-1}\left(\stackrel{l+k-1}{k-l}\right)}\quad\quad\forall\quad 1\leq k\in\mathbb{N}[/tex]

Does anybode have an idea how to prove this? Numerically, I convinced myself that it is true for [tex]n\leq 100 000[/tex] or so:smile:

I tried induction but it didn't work out.

Thanks
Pere

Btw.: Is there a better way to display binomial coefficients...? I used \stackrel ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well i don't have the head for this but one way you could do is write the generating function of the sum and then equating coefficients, where you should multiply the generating function of (-1)^(l-1)C_l-1 with the generating function of C(2k-l-1,l), and check any descent combinatorics book on catalan number in generating functions as to how to find the generating function of this.

sorry that i can't help you more.

Hi,
Thanks for your answer. I finally managed to prove the relation - using Generating Functions.

If we let

[tex]a_k = \sum_{l=1}^{k}{(-1)^{l-1}C_{l-1}\left(\stackrel{l+k-1}{k-l}\right)}[/tex]

we need to show

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty{a_k x^k} = \frac{x}{1-x}[/tex]

because the right hand side would also be the generating function of the constant sequence [tex](\alpha_i)_{i=1}^\infty=(1)_{i=1}^\infty[/tex].

I then continued as follows:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty{a_k x^k} = \sum_{k=1}^\infty{\sum_{l=1}^{k}{(-1)^{l-1}C_{l-1}\left(\stackrel{l+k-1}{k-l}\right)}x^k}= \sum_{l=1}^\infty{\sum_{k=l}^{\infty}{(-1)^{l-1}C_{l-1}\left(\stackrel{l+k-1}{2l-1}\right)}x^k}= \sum_{l=1}^\infty{{(-1)^{l-1}C_{l-1}x^l\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\stackrel{k+2l-1}{2l-1}\right)}x^k}=\sum_{l=1}^\infty{{(-1)^{l-1}C_{l-1}\frac{x^l}{(1-x)^{2l}}}[/tex]

Where the relation

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\left(\stackrel{k+m}{m}\right)}x^k} = \frac{1}{(1-x)^{m+1}}[/tex]

can easiliy be shown by induction on m.

So I continued

[tex]\sum_{l=1}^\infty{{(-1)^{l-1}C_{l-1}\frac{x^l}{(1-x)^{2l}}} = \frac{x}{(1-x)^2}\sum_{l=0}^\infty{{C_{l}\left(\frac{-x}{(1-x)^{2}}\right)^l} = \frac{x}{(1-x)^2} C\left(\frac{-x}{(1-x)^{2}}\right)[/tex]

Where [tex]C(x)=\frac{1-\sqrt{1-4x}}{2x}[/tex] is the generating function of the Catalan numbers.

For [tex]-1\leq x\leq1[/tex]

We then have

[tex]\frac{x}{(1-x)^2} C\left(\frac{-x}{(1-x)^{2}}\right)=\frac{x}{(1-x)^2}\frac{1-\sqrt{1+\frac{4x}{(1-x)^{2}}}}{2\frac{-x}{(1-x)^{2}}}=\frac{\sqrt\frac{(1+x)^2}{(1-x)^2}-1}{2}=\frac{1+x-1+x}{2(1-x)}=\frac{x}{1-x}[/tex]

Looks correct to me...? Any objections?;-)

Last edited:

1. What are Catalan numbers?

Catalan numbers are a sequence of positive integers that have been studied extensively in combinatorics and number theory. They are named after the Belgian mathematician Eugène Charles Catalan, who first described them in the 19th century.

2. What is the formula for calculating Catalan numbers?

The formula for calculating the nth Catalan number (Cn) is Cn = (2n)! / [(n+1)! * n!]. This can also be written as Cn = (1/(n+1)) * C2n, where C2n is the (2n)th term in the Catalan sequence.

3. How are Catalan numbers related to other mathematical concepts?

Catalan numbers have connections to many different areas of mathematics, including combinatorics, number theory, geometry, and algebraic topology. They have applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and chemistry.

4. What is the significance of Catalan numbers?

Catalan numbers have a wide range of applications and are used to solve many different types of problems in mathematics and other fields. They also have interesting properties and connections to other mathematical concepts, making them a fascinating area of study.

5. How can Catalan numbers be visualized?

Catalan numbers can be visualized in many different ways, including as paths on a grid, as tree structures, and as geometric shapes such as polygons and polytopes. These visualizations can help to understand the relationships between Catalan numbers and other mathematical concepts.