Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between energy of traveling wave with displacement curve

1. Sep 6, 2014 #1
    When waves are propagated through medium, the displacement curve will move up and down. Do they have any relationship with propagated energy? For example, when energy is gained from other part the curve will rise up or fall down. And does energy in standing waves share similar principle?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2
    I am not quite sure what you are asking, but it takes energy to cause the displacement. The displacement is directly related to the energy propagated for transverse waves.
    for example, suppose you and your friend are holding different ends of a taut rope. You shake your end and do work on the rope causing displacement and a traveling wave. On the other end, the wave does work on your friend's hand by forcing it to shake as you shook it. If your friend does not allow his end to move, the energy is trapped in the rope/wave and reflected back towards you. So the actual displacement carries the energy, if that's what you're asking.

4. Sep 6, 2014 #3
    Not exactly. I know the displacement is related to energy, but I want to get a further deeper understanding that it will move up or down if energy flowes into it. Or we could say the relationship between its displacement's direction and its direction of energy propagation. Do you know what I mean?
    Initially, displacement curve of standing waves attracted me. It just wiggled up and down but not move horizontally. Considering that energy from two directions are same, I think there must be some relation between these two things. Thus, I tried to find a more clear link between energy flow and displacement curve.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook